support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Greetings Cafe Saxophone!

Ninofuture

Hello to all members! Feels great to finally become part of this great community. :)
I'm 16 years old and don't yet own a sax, however i am soon to take the plunge into the long journey of learning :thumb:
Sopranino is my favourite sax, but i know i would never be able to start on one, so that leaves me to start with either a Soprano or an Alto. Ideally i would like to start on soprano, but i know intonation is apparently an issue many starters struggle with - but would i be able to use my clarinet experience to my advantage? Sorry for rambling on a greetings post, it is easy to get carried away!
Finally found a saxophone forum with realistic and down to earth members - so thanks in advance. ;}

Big welcome from me. If you play the clarinet, my guess is the sopranino wouldn't be impossible. But it's just a guess. I hope you've got an understanding family, those higher pitched saxes aren't easy on the ears, especially when the player is a learner.

Welcome. Good to hear from an aspiring nino player. As you may know the fingering is the same for the nino as the lower pitch instruments. Nino is kind of a favourite of mine and I don't find it all that difficult, but that's because I hear each note I'm going to play. If you can do this instead of just reading and mechanically using the right finger positions, then you'd have a good chance of being OK with starting on nino. You've got to have a good ear so that you can tell if you are playing in tune. It's kind of more like playing a brass instrument like trumpet. If you can't hear the note you're not likely to hit it. If you can play clarinet perfectly in tune top to bottom, then I think you've got a shot at it.

Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy it to the full. Personally, I prefer the lower tones. Enjoy your experiences and have fun. Fun is the key word here.
Welcome to the cafe!

Welcome Ninofuture

I say go for it,it's just a different journey thats all and JP do a great little nino for about £350 to start on,I obviously don't know your financial situation but if you bought that and found you couldn't work with it you could buy a new alto for similar money and have two to play with....good luck on your journey....john

Welcome to the caff©, ninofuture.

You have to be tiny to keep a Nino in scale. Some of us here play baritone and bass at the same time and look in scale.

ENJOY!

Speak for yourself OG >:)
I do not look in scale to my alto :))) let alone my baritone :shocked:

Welcome to the cafe Ninofuture,

I can't comment on the smaller saxes, I started on alto and moved to bari. I guess every sax has its special requirements. But with practice and dedication you will be good at the one you choose.

Wow! Thanks to everyone for such a warm welcome!
I think i can going to settle in the middle ground and opt for the soprano, a bit easier on the ears of me and my family (especially for a learner!)
I'll keep everyone informed of my progress and once again, Thank you :thumb:

I think i can going to settle in the middle ground and opt for the soprano, a bit easier on the ears of me and my family (especially for a learner!)

Hi Nino

Welcome from me too. I don't feel qualified to advise on which sax to start on but I was told to start on the one that appeals to you the most. That said if ninos are harder to play ( I wouldn't know) I am sure with your background you will pick the sop up easily. I love mine.

Jx

Hey Hey Nino ...

Welcome to the Cafe ...

But Sorry mate - You can't get off that easy ...

Which soprano do you fancy ... There's loads to choose from ...

And will it be straight or a nice curly one ... ;}

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom