All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Greetings Cafe Saxophone!

Ninofuture

Hello to all members! Feels great to finally become part of this great community. :)
I'm 16 years old and don't yet own a sax, however i am soon to take the plunge into the long journey of learning :thumb:
Sopranino is my favourite sax, but i know i would never be able to start on one, so that leaves me to start with either a Soprano or an Alto. Ideally i would like to start on soprano, but i know intonation is apparently an issue many starters struggle with - but would i be able to use my clarinet experience to my advantage? Sorry for rambling on a greetings post, it is easy to get carried away!
Finally found a saxophone forum with realistic and down to earth members - so thanks in advance. ;}

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Big welcome from me. If you play the clarinet, my guess is the sopranino wouldn't be impossible. But it's just a guess. I hope you've got an understanding family, those higher pitched saxes aren't easy on the ears, especially when the player is a learner.

trimmy

One day i will...
Also a big welcome from me :D

Enjoy whichever sax you choose, but if it was my choice i'd be going for Alto then onto Soprano but it's not so choose wisely and enjoy :D

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, ninofuture.

You have to be tiny to keep a Nino in scale. Some of us here play baritone and bass at the same time and look in scale.

ENJOY!

Wade Cornell

Welcome. Good to hear from an aspiring nino player. As you may know the fingering is the same for the nino as the lower pitch instruments. Nino is kind of a favourite of mine and I don't find it all that difficult, but that's because I hear each note I'm going to play. If you can do this instead of just reading and mechanically using the right finger positions, then you'd have a good chance of being OK with starting on nino. You've got to have a good ear so that you can tell if you are playing in tune. It's kind of more like playing a brass instrument like trumpet. If you can't hear the note you're not likely to hit it. If you can play clarinet perfectly in tune top to bottom, then I think you've got a shot at it.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy it to the full. Personally, I prefer the lower tones. Enjoy your experiences and have fun. Fun is the key word here.
Welcome to the cafe!

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Welcome Ninofuture

I say go for it,it's just a different journey thats all and JP do a great little nino for about £350 to start on,I obviously don't know your financial situation but if you bought that and found you couldn't work with it you could buy a new alto for similar money and have two to play with....good luck on your journey....john

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Welcome to the caff©, ninofuture.

You have to be tiny to keep a Nino in scale. Some of us here play baritone and bass at the same time and look in scale.

ENJOY!

Speak for yourself OG >:)
I do not look in scale to my alto :))) let alone my baritone :shocked:

Welcome to the cafe Ninofuture,

I can't comment on the smaller saxes, I started on alto and moved to bari. I guess every sax has its special requirements. But with practice and dedication you will be good at the one you choose.

Ninofuture

Wow! Thanks to everyone for such a warm welcome!
I think i can going to settle in the middle ground and opt for the soprano, a bit easier on the ears of me and my family (especially for a learner!)
I'll keep everyone informed of my progress and once again, Thank you :thumb:

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
I think i can going to settle in the middle ground and opt for the soprano, a bit easier on the ears of me and my family (especially for a learner!)

Hi Nino

Welcome from me too. I don't feel qualified to advise on which sax to start on but I was told to start on the one that appeals to you the most. That said if ninos are harder to play ( I wouldn't know) I am sure with your background you will pick the sop up easily. I love mine.

Jx

Sunray

Hey Hey Nino ...

Welcome to the Cafe ...

But Sorry mate - You can't get off that easy ...

Which soprano do you fancy ... There's loads to choose from ...

And will it be straight or a nice curly one ... ;}

Top Bottom