PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Graftonite revisited

I bought the Graftonite B7 Soprano which is a very good mouthpiece, rated better than a Yanagisawa HR. My main soprano mouthpiece is a Brancher Metal Jazz J15 which is the sound I prefer, but the Graftonite stacks up well.

If anyone wants to swap it for a Graftonite Alto please let me know.
It is in spotless condition. The other good thing about them is that they must be extremely hard to chew, and come with a lifetime guarantee!

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

I have just ordered a Metalite Baritone mouthpiece from an American Ebay shop £21 inc postage. I will let you know how I get on with it.

Regards

Dave

I would be very interested to hear how you get on with it, I've just gone back to my Graftonite on my Baritone to get more volume as the Yamaha 5C was just not loud enough.

I got my BW curved soprano out and tried the various soprano mouthpieces. The Brancher J15 Metal is very good: The Graftonite B7 was a nice sound - simple and clear - and competed well. The new top model is the Vandoren V16 S6 HR, which had a greater degree of complexity and depth, which I like very much. The Graftonite is amazing for £13, which it cost me new. I used Marca Jazz 2.5 reeds and a Vandoren metal lig.

Good experience.
Kind regards

The Bari sax metalite arrived on monday. It has a good sound and is perfectly playable. I used a Marca 3 and a rico jazz select 3 hard, but I wil try something a little softer next time. I used a standard slmer lig and that seems to work ok.

All in all good value for £20.00 inc delivery from the states.

Just an update on availability. www.rapidreeds.com stock Alto and Tenor Graftonite mouthpieces at the best prices. (a UK online firm).

I have just ordered a B5 Alto for £12.71 inc Postage. The Tenor mouthpieces are £14. The Metalite mouthpieces are being produced again but do not yet seem to be available in UK as far as I can see.
Rapid reeds also have Rico Metal Ligs for SATB saxes at around £6 -£12 a throw.

Kind regards

I bought the Graftonite B7 Soprano which is a very good mouthpiece, rated better than a Yanagisawa HR. My main soprano mouthpiece is a Brancher Metal Jazz J15 which is the sound I prefer, but the Graftonite stacks up well.

If anyone wants to swap it for a Graftonite Alto please let me know.
It is in spotless condition. The other good thing about them is that they must be extremely hard to chew, and come with a lifetime guarantee!

Kind regards

I'm hoping to get the saxello out again soon and I need a mp as I only have the original one that came with it (R&C R1 Jazz). I'm a total beginner on sop, would it be suitable for me and would you sell it rather than swap and I don't have anything to swap you?

The old tenor embouchure is pretty well developed and stable enough I think (hope) for me to have ago again.

I have just received my new Rico Royal B5 Alto mouthpiece - really lovely sound, good in all registers and with a solid core. I tried it with my Rico H ligature and trusty Francois Louis reeds. What a set up for £25!:w00t:;}

Obviously I must be at the stage where I have developed my own sound but it came across very well in terms of what I am looking for. No hesitation in recommending it very highly.

Kind regards

Currently Alto Metalites are not produced - apparently low demand

If anyone wants to buy an Alto Metalite M7 I've got one somewhere. A sop too, as well as Graftonite C5 and C7.

If there are any skint baritone players out there I'd heartily recommend the Metalite M7 for bari. It's a great mouthpiece at any price, and at £25 or so it's an outstanding bargain.

Jon

If there are any skint baritone players out there I'd heartily recommend the Metalite M7 for bari. It's a great mouthpiece at any price, and at £25 or so it's an outstanding bargain.

Jon

That sounds very tempting :) but it might be a bit much for my Martin :D

On the other hand .... for 25 pounds ... I'd love to try it indeed!

I'll do a google search for their site.

Edit: OTOH, I do have a great baritone mouthpiece that does everything I want ... no need to add more to the drawer stock ;) (even for 25 pounds)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thumbs up

I ordered a Graftonite B7 from Rapid Reeds, thinking "I need a jazzier mpc than my Yamaha 5C, I'll try one of these at under £20 to get used to a wider tip before I go and try some more 'serious' ones in a shop." Mouthpiece arrived this morning, had a quick blow and I'm already sounding much better than on the Yamaha. My wife agrees. Playing on Java red cut 2.5 reeds (which were, admittedly a bit soft for the 5C). Nice fat, rich sound as well as more "bendability". Might just stick with it for a while and see where it takes me. For the money, I'm really impressed (and no, I don't work for Rico ;}).

(Forgot to mention: it's a tenor piece. Might try one for the alto, too)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news!

I think that the Rico is quite a superb piece - the same would apply to the Runyon 22 at £30 - I play a 7 tip opening and it is an excellent sound also. Hope you continue to enjoy playing it, and glad that you have found a reed/mouthpiece combo that matches/works.

Kind regards
Tom

Hi all, I've got a Rico A7 arriving on Tuesday, I'm looking forward to hear what it sounds like.

For a giggle, I put my "Selmer Super Session E" alto m'piece on my MkV1 tenor, it worked fine (different!!).
Well I was bored!

John.

Back
Top Bottom