support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Good Price for a Trevor James Horn Black & Gold Soprano?

MellowD

Lost In Theory
Locality
Sturton by Stow, Lincoln
I'm looking to get a soprano to progress alongside my Yani T901 Tenor. I know I can't afford a second hand Yani much as I'd like. I've been offered locally to try a TJames Horn Black & Gold Sop in "as new condition", with professional set-up checks plus 6 mth warranty for £500. Curlywoodwinds sell this at £589. Curly aren't local though, unfortunately. Is it a beginner or intermediate set up?

Would this be a good purchase?

I want something which will last me for at least 2-3yrs, or preferably longer, rather than buying basic now, and then needing to upgrade in 12mths time, hence why I'd like to get at least an intermediate setup if I can. While on a budget, I would like to have something that compliments my Yani as far as possible. I can possibly afford up to around £800 ultimately, but since this one is being proferred at this price, I thought I would ask for some advice and opinions from far more trusted sources than the person selling.

Cheers all in advance

Mel :thumb:

The TJ sound a good deal, but also look at Thowman, Bauhaus Wallstein, and John Packer. If you want to spend a bit more check out Phil Barone and Macsax (which are essentially the same thing) or system 54 over here.

hi there,im not too sure about the sops but i have a trevor james alto(couldnt resist as the price was very low) and it seems very well built,more sturdy than my sms alto,with the standered mouthpiece it sounds nice but with my rico it sounds amazing :)

I am a begginer so havnt experienced many saxs yet but i am now happy enough to not want to upgrade untill i feel i have become at least a intermediate player.

Mines the revolution sax (the first model) and these seem to go for £200 to £350 depending on condition etc from what ive seen so if your sop is a newer model it may be a good buy :)

Thanks luke

EDIT: the pads are a bit sticky on mine but that may well be due to how old it is but thought i best mention

Get a Bauhaus Walstein - you won't regret it! My tech, Dick Hamer (also pro musician and University Sax tutor) sells the BW soprano from £512 and is excellent to deal with all round. Short of the Yani they are just as good! As Pete Thomas once said - http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?98609-My-new-Bauhaus-Walstein-soprano.

I'd never need to upgrade. Onlu upgrade would need to be the mouthpiece, when you are clearer about the sort of sound you like!

I agree with Tom (let's form a coalition) on the BW.

My main soprano is a Yani curvie (SC-991) on which the BW curvie is based. I played them back to back and they are very similar indeed. You can even swap necks between the two horns. If I didn't already have a curved sop I know what I would get, but I haven't played a BW straight sop yet.

Rhys

There are two, one in exactly the finish you want

The finish is, for me, irrelevant, so long as the instrument is in clean and good condition. I have no problem with a traditional looking piece (as is my Yani 901) and not worried about 'trendy' etc. What I really want is a piece that is closer or actually intermediate rather than basic so that I can be happy to love, care and play for a long time, if not forever!! Would you recommend the John Packard as being that quality (I'm learning and willing to understand/appreciate these differences).

I already have a good neck band which I'm sure will work with all saxes, no not worried about what they come with on that score. So long as there's a carry case to protect it, I'm also happy to invest in whatever mouthpieces will suit my playing as I grow.

Like I said, want a good instrument that will last me for some time rather than be looking at upgrade trade-ins in a years time.

EDIT: And I've been following closely the recommendations for my query about my neck pain, and appreciate the comment about the curly being something I can support more easily than a straight. I manage with my Tenor due to the comfy neck strap, which naturally I can use throughout - after all, last time I checked, I can only play one sax at a time!!

I've not played a JP. Many forum members have, and the service reports have been good. Lots seem to come up in their offers that've been used by touring bands. For 500 I'd spend the extra and buy new, which'd then mean look at the BW etc. But given two that look new here for 250, I'd take a punt on the JPs. Seems like good value and will certainly last you more than a couple of years. Even if you do decide to sell, you should easily get your money back.

Thanks Kev, I've posted on the thread of jobylou to see if she still has it as it's been a couple of weeks and figure she may have sold elsewhere. I've rooted round the JP website and done a bit of reading up through historical threads, and picked up on the comments re touring bands etc. If I can get one at this price which will be good for a long time, it will leave me some money to also purchase an alto, or at very least, towards an alto.

To my mind you can't go far wrong with a Trevor James but you may find the Bauhaus Walstein holds its value a little better for resale. The range I'm aware of goes from Artemis (student), Horn Custom Classic (better), Rev I & II (Intermediate(ish)), Signature & SR (Int-Pro) Signature Custom(Pro). I've owned them all in alto, excluding the last 2 and highly recommend them. I stick with the the Rev II because I'm not really good enough to notice the difference with the more expensive models.

If you can I would recommend trying a few out first. When I did this using my own mouthpiece, I found that the main difference for me was key placement, the actual difference in sound quality and key action seemed minimal, although I don't have the experience of many here.

T.... but you may find the Bauhaus Walstein holds its value a little better for resale. The range I'm aware of goes from Artemis (student), Horn Custom Classic (better), Rev I & II (Intermediate(ish)), Signature & SR (Int-Pro) Signature Custom(Pro).

Much to my hubby's disgust over the days that have passed (as I wasn't keeping him company and chatting when he was home from work), I've spent long hours looking around at all the reviews I can find and also on You Tube for the demonstrations of different models/brands.

I think I've settled that I'm not going to go for Trevor James Horn as I'm getting the impression I would be anxious to change up before long. I'm not looking for cheapness or resale value, just something within a budget I can set for the nearer future.

I am, however looking for overall value, longevity of the sound/use, something which will be comparable (on some level) to my Yani Tenor, and more importantly ease of action (arthritis). I've had a go on my friends alto (don't know what it is) which is a basic student with a view to buying it, and the keys really hurt my hands and they swelled rapidly. With the Yani, its pure pleasure and the fluidity of the movement actually takes the swelling down as I'm moving without undue pressure (and YES my friends alto had been serviced just prior), so it is bizarrely therapeutic!

I am coming to the conclusion that I will be looking at the Bauhaus Bronze when my money comes through. If there's more money than I expect, then I may even go for the M2. All with a view of overall being happy with action and sound, having something which is based on the Yani at a price I can more readily reach, and with the intention that the one purchase will last me some considerable time without boredom or pressure to upgrade.

I'm going to arrange to go to Windblowers in Nottingham as a Bauhaus stockist, and where the Yani goes for servicing, to try before I buy though.

Thanks for all the help. I'm more than happy to wait for the money to come through and get the right buy with the right decisions. After all, I'm not exactly saxless - I do have my Tenor which I'm thoroughly loving to bits!!

Cheers all!

Back
Top Bottom