support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Good afternoon from Cape Town

Soné

I fell in love with the tenor saxophone about 4 years ago, tried to teach myself to play...That was a challenge on its own. Started going for lessons about a month ago and my music teacher convinced me that the Alto Saxophone would suit me much better. Very grateful that I made the switch. Now I am borrowing her Alto Sax while I am try to sell my tenor sax.
I tried to find out what make her saxophone is but am not very successful. The letters ‘Dqvi’ is engraved on the saxophone as well as some patterns. It also has a six digit serial number. Where can I find out where this saxophone originated from?
Thank you :)

As a tenor sax player (by coincidence), I'm curious about the reasons that your music teacher felt that the alto sax would suit you better, I'm not questioning her expertise or judgement. I'm just curious.

Mike

As a tenor sax player (by coincidence), I'm curious about the reasons that your music teacher felt that the alto sax would suit you better, I'm not questioning her expertise or judgement. I'm just curious.

Mike

Hi Mike,
According to my teacher my frame is too small for the tenor sax, I really battled getting a range of notes out without gasping for air or hyperventilating. I am actually now able to produce beautiful notes on the alto

Welcome to the Café.
Can't you ask your teacher what make her saxophone is?

Pictures should include:
Left and right little-finger key clusters
Octave key
Bell engraving
Text on the back
General left-side and right-side shots.

She does not know. Bought it at a secondhand shop. Might be a no name brand or something special. Looks a bit old and well used, but the sound is beautiful. Will post some photos on the page suggested by Jeanette.

Hi Mike,
According to my teacher my frame is too small for the tenor sax, I really battled getting a range of notes out without gasping for air or hyperventilating. I am actually now able to produce beautiful notes on the alto
Ok, that seems a very good reason.
I couldn't think why somebody couldn't play the tenor. But maby that's because I have a rather large lung capacity and big hands....

Hi Soné and welcome to the café.

It's good that you found your voice with the alto. If you struggled with tenor and now feel ay home with the alto, then I guess your teacher is right. At least for now. Perhaps as you develop your air support playing the alto, the tenor will become accessible again. If we remembered all the little things that were a problem as we started, we'd be amazed if not shocked.

By the way, may I ask where 'Soné' comes from? I just found out that it is a unit to mesure loudness! I had never heard of it.

It's almost like 'sonné' in French that means 'sounded' or 'rung'. Can also mean 'stunned'...

Enjoy the forum!

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom