support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Get your soldering iron out...

Chris98

I built a little 6W valve amp for my guitar a few years back, sounds great although I can't help tweaking it so it's had several different preamp stages so far.

But I think I might have found my next DIY project, a $125.95 valve driven large condenser mic kit...

DIY Microphone

aurycl2.jpg

...okay maybe I should be doing something more productive whilst waiting to go to my lesson, rather than mooching on the web!

Looks like fun, and useful.

Doesn't look to difficult, either. Maybe it's a good job they're out of stock.....

I built this fuzz pedal from a kit in an afternoon, and I have to say, the mic looks less complicated, particularly as the power supply is already made. I'm almost tempted to give it a go...

Fuzz-2.jpg

whilst I empathize with the creative desire (made many bits & bobs with success levels from 100% to a total waste of dosh!), this will likely cost, after duties, £100+ - for that money there are countless 'professional' mics from the bay with a known performance level... I have a number of mics plus a zoom h4, but still record my home playing (am I aloud to call it that?) with a £5 Sony mic....

Buy another mouthpiece!

Fuzz pedal looks neat Chris. Neater than my building. I reckon always stick to valves and components that are a sensible size though. I've built some radio equipment recently that uses surface mount components;if you drop them on the carpet (they spring out of tweezers quite easily) they're a nightmare to find and the soldering technique takes some mastering. And don't get me or PeeDee going about how useless modern lead free solder is!
Colin

whilst I empathize with the creative desire (made many bits & bobs with success levels from 100% to a total waste of dosh!), this will likely cost, after duties, £100+ - for that money there are countless 'professional' mics from the bay with a known performance level... I have a number of mics plus a zoom h4, but still record my home playing (am I aloud to call it that?) with a £5 Sony mic....

Buy another mouthpiece!

Hi Geoff,

I think I just have an itch to make something every now and then. I grant you that the cost will probably outweigh the ‘value’ of the finished mic but I’m interested in the project for more than following a set of instructions to end up with a new mic, I’d actually like to start to understand how they work & sound the way they do.

And how very dare you sir suggest I should buy another mouthpiece ;} … well actually... my tenor is being serviced on Monday and once in tip top condition I hope to have a little go on an intriguing boutique piece!

All the best,

Chris

Fuzz pedal looks neat Chris. Neater than my building. I reckon always stick to valves and components that are a sensible size though. I've built some radio equipment recently that uses surface mount components;if you drop them on the carpet (they spring out of tweezers quite easily) they're a nightmare to find and the soldering technique takes some mastering. And don't get me or PeeDee going about how useless modern lead free solder is!
Colin

Hello Colin,

I kept meaning to do better graphics on the fuzz but I got caught up in something else (the sax) and never got around to it. I’ve never even attempted to use surface mount components, in my amp the components were mounted on a drilled sheet of phenolic circuit board with brass eyelets and flying leads, sort of point to point wiring, just like the original 1950’s amps! All good fun.

Lead-free solder, yeap, absolutely useless, I hate the stuff, or have yet to find the right stuff! But lets not go there. I have to say, I'm a valve fan, I think a set of glowing valves looks magical, and hopefully sound wonderful too.

Best wishes,

Chris

Ah The Zoom H4...if only I could remember how I once got it to work, I could do some more recordings!!

Ah The Zoom H4...if only I could remember how I once got it to work, I could do some more recordings!!

I don't really remember what I did originally (not much..) but now I plug it in, turn the switch on, & press the big button twice; that's it! so even I can remember from week to week..... don't be afraid of it, solution will be just a question or two away..

Last edited by a moderator:
Wont the power supply be for 110/115volts as it is American? You've probably got a step down trannie for it anyway.
Let's all go back to breadboard construction. ;}

Back
Top Bottom