All profit supporting   special needs music

Saxophones GAS... What am I going to do with this one?

DavidUK

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
I don't know... sorry it wasn't another quiz! ;)

It's on its way to me for tomorrow. I reckon an A4, but that's only a guess as the tenor is a T4. It does have a s/n which may help so I'll check that and look for a model number.

T

Trigger

Locality
England
Sorry just noticed it’s a alto A5 same as the Whitehall stencils

DavidUK

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Sorry just noticed it’s a alto A5 same as the Whitehall stencils
What feature/s make it an A5 rather than A4?
Many thanks.

jonf

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
@DavidUK have a look at this thread

specifically post 37 from Griff. The A4, and, as far as I am aware, the A5 both have a large hoop bell to body brace. Looks like your new sax is the flat style like the Yamaha ones, which according to Griff (who's seen a lot of saxes) makes it an A6.

DavidUK

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
@DavidUK have a look at this thread

specifically post 37 from Griff. The A4, and, as far as I am aware, the A5 both have a large hoop bell to body brace. Looks like your new sax is the flat style like the Yamaha ones, which according to Griff (who's seen a lot of saxes) makes it an A6.
Thanks Jon, I did notice that. I seem to recall the A6 was the better instrument (than A4), as described here:

You can see the bell brace on the (alleged) A6 here:

View: https://youtu.be/U88XozNEVNc?t=76

Another A6 Yamaha style brace here: Musik Hochstrasser | Occasionen / Es-Alto-Sax Yanagisawa A6

Yamaha style A6 brace mentioned here: https://www.saxontheweb.net/threads/what-is-the-model-number-of-this-yanagisawa.8103/#post-1951445

@helen disagrees (ring brace): DSC00010 |

Maybe the A6 had either type of brace? Does @griff136 know for sure...?

Last edited:
griff136

griff136

Locality
I live in Exmouth Devon.
Maybe the A6 had either type of brace? Does @griff136 know for sure...?

Short answer no I don't know for sure. Yanagisawa, like Selmer and other manufacturers, made modifications to their models under production at the time - classic examples of this are with Selmer on the Mk 6 e.g the different sized bows in the run of altos, or the change in the key post cluster for the pinky keys and the brief use of headless pivot screws.
I would hazard a guess that somewhere in the production run of the A6 the bell to body brace had a change.

jonf

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
But I think the key thing is, while an A6 may have a ring brace or a flat one, a sax with a flat brace is an A6.

Should be a good sax if in decent order.

DavidUK

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
It's arrived. Might need a few pads (the usual suspects) but no dents or dings, small amount of corrosion mainly on the neck. A bit rattly here and there but that should be sortable. I'm not going to blow it whilst I have Covid.

Bell brace and S/N...

20220616 142734

20220616 142650

Seller sent it in a brand new (flimsy/crappy/"wavy" lid type) G4M case, but also offered to send the clapped out "original" case. I said yes to the latter as it may have been salvageable and Yany cases are generally nice things to behold.
Anyhow...

20220616 142900

20220616 142919

...I don't know what it's from, but it sure aint a Yany case! It's been banished to the garage.

I have a couple of nice spare alto cases which it will hopefully fit into. The G4M one will end up in the small ads...

jonf

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
Well, that's an A6. Looks very nice, should be great once it's had its minor fettling.

The case is very familiar too. It's exactly the same as the one the very first sax I played came in, a school loaner. It was an Eastern European Lafleur. It was an awful case. It was an awful sax, as well, for that matter.

Hope the COVID clears up quickly.

G

greenstripe

Locality
UK
That's a Weltklang case, same as I had with my Soloist stencil (badged as "La Fleur imported by Boosey & Hawkes")

I know nothing about early Yanis (or new ones for that matter) looks nice and wish you all the best with it.

Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
A Weltklang case. Also badged Appollo, Trafford. Useless for a saxophone. Pull out the internals and bury treasure in it. Better that it came in a G4M case. They're flimsy but offer good one hit protection.
Nice looking horn btw. Will we see it in the yard sale? ;)

DavidUK

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
A Weltklang case. Also badged Appollo, Trafford. Useless for a saxophone. Pull out the internals and bury treasure in it. Better that it came in a G4M case. They're flimsy but offer good one hit protection.
Nice looking horn btw. Will we see it in the yard sale? ;)
One day Colin... one day. I doubt it will surpass my SDA, but you never know...

T

Trigger

Locality
England
Think I might have a vintage yani case if you want it , will check tomorrow to see if I still have it as most of my saxes are in hiscox cases

Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
A couple of yani cases on the bay.

Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
One day Colin... one day. I doubt it will surpass my SDA, but you never know...
I've liked every Selmer I've ever heard or played but Yanis have a certain something that some players can make me melt and fall in love. ♡

T

Trigger

Locality
England
This is free of charge just pay post

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom