support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Found an old Conn

Mamos

Hi All

Found an old Conn in an antique shop today looks like iis fron the forties or maybe fifties but I'm only guessing.

Un-playable sadly but had a good mouthpiece, a link.

Are these old horns worth getting into working order?

The lady in the shop said she was selling it for her brother and he wants around £400 for it. I told her it would need at least that spending to get it in a good playing condition.

As you can see from the picture it has rolled tone holes (or they could be brazed rings)

It comes with the original case and strap

mamos

Attachments

• conn1.jpg
    conn1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 190
  • conn2.jpg
    conn2.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 185
Look for a model number stamped on your horn. I couldn't read it from the photo. Here is a list of Conn model numbers and dates:

Conn Models

Here is a list of Conn serial numbers and dates:

Conn Serial Numbers

I think the "T" for tenor on your horn instead of "B" for Bb means something too but I cannot remember.

Do you find your horn?

I have a 1955 Conn Pan Am tenor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Old Conn

Hi Mamos

I have a 1926 Conn Chu Berry that cost me £350 to buy then another £350 to rebuild. I think that to make it worth your while, you should try and get it down to £200.

I would recommend Woodwind and Reed in Cambridge for the rebuild, Tim did a lovely job for me.

Let us know how you get on

Regards

Dave

It looks like a Conn New Wonder Series II C. 1928 "Chu Berry" model. The "T" is for "Tenor", and the "L" is for "Low Pitch" i.e. modern tuning.

Since these came in either bare brass or metal plated originally, it has an after market lacquer finish. This isn't a "refinish", as long as it is well done it should NOT adversely affect the price.

These are of course renowned horns, and great sounding players. I can't comment on the price, as there is often quite a difference in the price paid for these between the U.S. and Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 6M Conn alto, the Naked lady Model, in silver, going by the serial # it's a 1935, it's a beauty, will never sell her.

Mamos certainly worth getting a sax repair man to look at. I bought mine for $120 and paid another $120 to get it repadded nearly 20years ago.

Best of luck
Ciao
Jimu:mrcool

Old Conn

I picked a Conn F Mezzo soprano dating from 1928 at an auction. There are supposed to be only about a hundred or so of these still around. It is in amazing condition and sounds wonderful. Keep looking around that's the best advice!

I paid £1150 for an excellent relac 10M RTH this year. Best £1150 I ever spent. They are amazing horns, I play in colour now whereas it was black and white with my Yamaha. ATB

I picked a Conn F Mezzo soprano dating from 1928 at an auction. There are supposed to be only about a hundred or so of these still around. It is in amazing condition and sounds wonderful. Keep looking around that's the best advice!

Congratulations! I tried to get both Conns F saxes (Mezzo soproano and Conn-O-Sax) but without succes. I was trying to have one of each from "Conns-saxfamily". I failured when it came to the F saxes.

I think the best Conns, when it comes to playablity, are the saxes from mid or late 30's and early 40's.

Thomas