Photo contest

Saxophones Forestone unlacquered tenor saxophone

I do understand the risk of being slapped with VAT, but airfares aside you have the option to go their head technician Atushi Watanabe to get your sax personally set up to your preference free of charge. Also you can go back anytime to witness his work or for light repairs free of charge.

I do understand the risk of being slapped with VAT, but airfares aside you have the option to go their head technician Atushi Watanabe to get your sax personally set up to your preference free of charge. Also you can go back anytime to witness his work or for light repairs free of charge.
Taken from the Forestone description.....................does it make a difference?.......................
Cryogenic treatment puts the brass through a deep stress cycle, which relieves residual stress from manufacturing at the crystalline level and makes the body more resonant. It is a way of rapidly achieving the "played in" characteristic of a horn that has been stress-cycled by vibration.

Taken from the Forestone description.....................does it make a difference?.......................
Cryogenic treatment puts the brass through a deep stress cycle, which relieves residual stress from manufacturing at the crystalline level and makes the body more resonant. It is a way of rapidly achieving the "played in" characteristic of a horn that has been stress-cycled by vibration.

I believe that it makes a slight difference. As I was trying out the yamaha customs and the top yanagisawa's I found it just a tad easier to play a few overtones, I also noticed a little more depth compared to the yamaha's but the response and sharpness was a little better on the yanagisawa's.

Cryogenic treatment puts the brass through a deep stress cycle, which relieves residual stress from manufacturing at the crystalline level and makes the body more resonant.

Why would anyone want the body of a saxophone to be resonant? I would have thought resonance in the body would be a detriment. Not that i'm an acoustics expert but in a woodwind it's the air column that vibrates (unlike a guitar) so if the body also resonates surely it could be a problem.

...Not that i'm an acoustics expert but in a woodwind it's the air column that vibrates (unlike a guitar) so if the body also resonates surely it could be a problem.
I'm not a saxophone expert but I would have thought so
If the two resonating entities are out of phase with each other, you will have peaks and troughs nulling each other and peak and peaks (or troughs and troughs) amplifying each other. Could make for a very weird sound.

Don't they all fizz a bit in your hands. Some more than others. It pays to check all the screws to stop bits shaking off. I've lost one of the LH pinky table rollers on my alto. Screw , roller, the lot has gone awol. It must have been some session.

You can check how resonant your sax is by striking it with a hammer and listening to it ring. (disclaimer)

Why would anyone want the body of a saxophone to be resonant? I would have thought resonance in the body would be a detriment. Not that i'm an acoustics expert but in a woodwind it's the air column that vibrates (unlike a guitar) so if the body also resonates surely it could be a problem.
I understand why it shouldn't be desirable, but the quality I love most about my SBA alto is its perceived resonance. It feels alive. I'm sure it's not really resonance, but rather, just a consequence of being lightly built. Whatever it is though, I wish I had a tenor with it.

So how do you pronounce it? Is it:

a. Forest-1
b. 4-stone
c. Foress-stone
d. None of the above, something completely different actually

These are the questions saxophonists need answers to..