• New!

    Try our new Social Feeds, look out for the navigation icon: . You can now set default social feed view in your account preferences.

Playing the saxophone First year on tenor sax

Verenice

New Member
Messages
1
Hello there, this year I play tenor saxophone for my high school band, I originally played clarinet. There's only one other person in my section and he's already perfect on it as he used to play alto. I have been in and out of tenor for the past 2 years and I was wondering how I can get better? My director says I have pretty good tone but I really want to improve 😀
 
Hello there, this year I play tenor saxophone for my high school band, I originally played clarinet. There's only one other person in my section and he's already perfect on it as he used to play alto. I have been in and out of tenor for the past 2 years and I was wondering how I can get better? My director says I have pretty good tone but I really want to improve 😀
Forget everything you learned on clarinet about your embouchure. Saxophone embouchure is very different. You still need strength, but it has to be loose and controlled. Firm muscles but very low pressure on the reed.

Remember everything you learned on clarinet about breath support. Solid support and control of your air is everything.

3rd tip - practice your technical exercises slowly and with a metronome. Your aim should be relaxed precision. Like everything good in the world, music takes time to become proficient. Be patient.
 

Similar threads... or are they? Maybe not but they could be worth reading anyway 😀

Trending

Latest Song of the Month

Forum statistics

Topics
32,269
Messages
576,346
Members
8,087
Latest member
Verenice
Back
Top Bottom