support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Favorite Christmas Jazz Album

jbtsax

in memoriam 1947 - 2023
Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
My favorite is Diana Krall Christmas Songs. I'd like hear about other's favorites in the jazz idiom.

Mine has to be 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' by Vince Guaraldi. Simple, beautiful, jazzy and full of Christmas spirit. Doesn't scare off non jazz heads either. Wins all around :)

A Jolly Christmas Frank Sinatra. If that counts as Jazz

Favourite Xmas album is The bells of dublin by the Cheiftains. And I ain't not even slightly Irish

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi My favourite Christmas tune transcribed into the jazz idiom is `A medianoche se oyo.`Translated from the Spanish `It came upon the midnight clear` In Southern Spain they have a tradition where most of the shops hitch speakers outside there windows lay down a special sort of carpet and have recordings of Gypsy children singing carols at Christmas time. On one of the days just before Christmas, several years ago I was in Orange Square (Marbella) and the children were singing. But to the point; a young busker(guitar) was, during a break in the caroling, playing the carols with a definite swing or jazz beat. I spoke to him and found he was an Italian working his way through Europe before he returned to Cremona for his final year at the International Music Academy, where he studied classical guitar. He also had a friend with him who was a first class harmonica player and they made music to dream about. I had never come across this combination before and never have since. So that is why that particular carol is my favourite tune at Christmas, second only to Wayne Shorter`s rendition of `Old Wine, New Bottles.` which has a definite Christmas feel to it. Regds.It came upon the midnight clear, that glorious song of old. N.

Thanks for the replies. I have both the Chieftans and Guaraldi on order. For pure musical perfection in a non jazz Christmas album I recommend The Singers Unlimited Christmas.

'My favourite things' at the '63 Newport Jazz Festival. That is my favourite jazz :w00t:recording of all time - Christmas, New Year, Birthdays and Anniversaries....and the rest!

My Christmas music collection is bulging, and these suggestions will ensure it will keep growing. There is an expanded and re-mastered version of Vince Guaraldi Trio's "A Charlie Brown Christmas" that was just released - on my list!

A little quirky, but I love it - Squirrel Nut Zippers "Christmas Caravan". "Silent Nights" by Chet Baker, and an old compilation CD entitled "Jingle Bell Jazz".

Okay, I need to stop now. :) What a great thread - love to hear what others enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom