support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Famous Orchestral Saxophone Solos:

Hal the Elder

Account Closed
Locality
High Mojave Desert in Southern California
I recently downloaded a list of 32 Saxophone solos from Classical works.

The best known are the Tenor solo in Ravel's Bolero, and a short Alto break in Gershwin's Rhapdsody in Blue. Choose a YouTube performance with video coverage that zooms in on every soloist. These are usually the major European Symphony Orchestras. The LSO (London Symphony Orchestra) is always great!

(My favorite YouTube videos are Classical works and old standup comedians: Rodney Dangerfield, Henny Youngman, Milton Berle, Jack Benny, etc.) That's going pretty far back for comedy, but then I go pretty far back, too)!

That's all...
HAL

The hauntingly beautiful alto sax solo in "The Old Castle" from Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition is one of my favorites.

Here is a YouTube video of one of the movements of John Williams "Escapades" with Dan Higgins, alto sax which is a contemporary example of saxophone with full orchestra.

Another good one is the tenor saxophone part in Ralph Vaughan Williams's sixth symphony. I think it is in the second or third movement (I don't have the score in front of me right now). If you look at the instrumentation you see that it also has bass clarinet part. The composer has made allowance for the possibility that the tenor doubles on clarinet. If that is the case, about six bars of the bass clarinet part may be omitted (marked tacet ad lib). If there are two players, the bass clarinet continues almost without a break.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another good one is the tenor saxophone part in Ralph Vaughan Williams's sixth symphony. I think it is in the second or third movement (I don't have the score in front of me right now). If you look at the instrumentation you see that it also has bass clarinet part. The composer has made allowance for the possibility that the tenor doubles on clarinet. If that is the case, about six bars of the bass clarinet part may be omitted (marked tacet ad lib). If there are two players, the bass clarinet continues almost without a break.
It's here (3rd mvt):

The hauntingly beautiful alto sax solo in "The Old Castle" from Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition is one of my favorites.

Here is a YouTube video of one of the movements of John Williams "Escapades" with Dan Higgins, alto sax which is a contemporary example of saxophone with full orchestra.

Couldn`t agree with you more JB, Pictures at an Exhibition is a hauntingly beautiful orchestral piece. I also like Tomita`s electronic version of the same. He includes `The Gnome.` and `Promenade` great music. Regds N.

To me, the Home Run with Bases Loaded is:

"The Great Gate of Kiev" from Pictures at an Exhibition. (Although the Saxophone is not the featured solo performer.)

HAL