support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Experiment - conclusions

Just thinking John, there's the new tech moved close to you. Maybe he can sort the BA out....

Thanks for that Kev, but I took it back to the U.K. for Stephen (of the excellent Saxophone Manual (plug)) to have a look at, and there was nothing he could do to improve it. I guess the only real solution would be to remove the silver plate and just leave it bare brass, as the etching is very shallow now.

John :):);}

Thanks for that Kev, but I took it back to the U.K. for Stephen (of the excellent Saxophone Manual (plug)) to have a look at, and there was nothing he could do to improve it. I guess the only real solution would be to remove the silver plate and just leave it bare brass, as the etching is very shallow now.

John :):);}

If he can't fix it....

Pity. Real pity!

Well Rock (makes it sound like an American TV programme from the 70s....)

I managed to play it a bit finally over the weekend. It came with the Vandoren mouthpiece (I'm an ignoramus on the whole mpc subject). I've decided to go with a Rico 1.5 reed for the moment as I think the Vandoren 2.5 is too stiff.

It seems to blow fairly easily (certainly compared ot the alto) I can blow it fairly cleanly over two octaves from D to D. I've managed to get it to sound (inconsistently) down to Bb. I need to spend some time on getting the top register - but again it's easier than on the alto.

One niggle so far: G# didn't do anything yesterday - it seems to be a bit sticky and was OK once I man-handled it.

Overall impressions are favourable

I made a reasonable stab at sight-reading through some easier Aebersold repertoire.

As noted elsewhere, I need a different strap both of the ones I have are I think slightly too short. The weight on my neck/spine is uncomfortable. I've ordered a Cebulla. So see how that goes.

Sticking G# is a common problem. Spring closed and spring opened. I lift all the spring closed pads and give the whole thing a twiddle (technical term) before playing. It might just be a newness thing with it being unplayed for a while.