support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Every saxophone player should have...

Amaranth

Locality
Oxfordshire, England
Time for a lighthearted list of things the Books/Teachers don't tell you but are really essential for playing :)

Here are 4 to start off - please add to the list

1. Killer Boots- I have just taken delivery of my third pair of over the Knee High heeled boots (hmm maybe this is a female player only thing?...nah probably not).
2. Shades
3. At least 1 Flashy solo piece that can be perfomed drunk or sober
4. A (strong) lift home Strong in case they have to carry the player as well as the Sax.

Aly

1 Pork pie or other similar silly hat or Harley Davidson bandana.
2 Lip salve for bruised traumatized lips and as a cork grease substitute.
3 Condom for fixing leaky key pads in emergency (May have other uses if you are lucky!)
4 elastic band as spring substitute / reinforcement and to replace forgotten ligature.

1. Two days growth of stubble (generally, but not exclusively, a male thing)
2. Perverse dress sense (rest of band in T-shirts and jeans, sax player turns up in a suit – and vice versa)
3. Miserable scowl for use in numbers when not playing
4. Acute sense of true pitch - for all instruments except the sax

1. Killer Boots- I have just taken delivery of my third pair of over the Knee High heeled boots (hmm maybe this is a female player only thing?...nah probably not).
2. Shades
3. At least 1 Flashy solo piece that can be perfomed drunk or sober
4. A (strong) lift home Strong in case they have to carry the player as well as the Sax.

Aly
this is all feeling far too close to home.... assorted two tone shoes, fake snakeskin winkle pickers etc (my old band- Mudlow- were all obsessed with flamboyant boots), rarely shades for practical reasons, as I've got pretty ropey eyesight- a nifty line harmonic freak outs- not exactly musical but good and theatrical + eminently doable drunk.....

1 Pork pie or other similar silly hat or Harley Davidson bandana.
2 Lip salve for bruised traumatized lips and as a cork grease substitute.
1.... plenty, all silly- though i've always found pork pie hats too obvious- various- stetsens, fez, baker boy hats etc
2.....and for putting a line across the eybrows to stop sweat blindness under hot stage lights!

1. Two days growth of stubble (generally, but not exclusively, a male thing)
2. Perverse dress sense (rest of band in T-shirts and jeans, sax player turns up in a suit – and vice versa)
3. Miserable scowl for use in numbers when not playing
4. Acute sense of true pitch - for all instruments except the sax

guilty on all counts- I can restring and accurately tune a guitar faster than anyone I know... 1 & 2- definately! Generally wild & or mad hair seems quite a re-occuring horn player motif too....
thoroughly rumbled!! :shocked: :(

I HAVE to meet all of you - I bet we'd recognise each other in a second!!
Oh yeah and ditto the wild hair!

Love it Nachoman.

Ah...THAT's where I have been going wrong...thanks, gals & guys :)

I HAVE to meet all of you - I bet we'd recognise each other in a second!!
Oh yeah and ditto the wild hair!

Love it Nachoman.
Now there's a band that looks like a band- and a pair of sax players fulfilling a good cliche quota (me on the baritone)!
mudlow1.jpg

Is that a rather familiar looking baritone I see?

Wicked picture. You guys look like a bunch of bikers who've decided to show their artistic side for a little bit before getting back on their Harleys and raising a little cain before tea time :)

AL - Condom for leaky keys? This may be a very dumb question, but how does that work?

1. Liquid refreshment (bottle of water/beer/whisky - depends on how late it is)
2. A tested backup reed that isn't a plank of timber masquerading as a reed
3. Clear line of sight on a) the nearest escape route b) the bar
4. Funky footwear - They may not be knee high boots, but they've attracted their fair share of commentary :)

n505245631_3751830_6103.jpg

Wicked picture. You guys look like a bunch of bikers who've decided to show their artistic side for a little bit before getting back on their Harleys and raising a little cain before tea time :)
the 2 on the left did a pretty good job of living up to their appearances... hellraising Australian & equally hellraising Irish tenor player respectively. Very messy band, absolutely great when it worked but heinously shambolic dependant on pre gig booze intake.....

The condom for leaky keys. I hope this doesn't carry too much innuendo. Carefully! to avoid puncture stretch the condom over the surface of the pad and tape in position, as a very temporary repair to a damaged or torn pad, I have done it and it works

Back
Top Bottom