support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Studies Essential Tenor Books?

nickh

Locality
Peak District. Uk
Hi folks,

I was wondering what you might recommend as the essential books that a complete beginner on Tenor Sax might need. I have a teacher and some musical background (gypsy jazz guitar/banjo) but i'm learning how too read music as well as learning Tenor Sax. I want too play Jazz.

I'm trying not too make the mistake of buying too many books at the start. So far i have these books (mostly from looking at threads on here)..

O'neill Tenor Sax method
(the main book i'm working from, which i really like)

Creative Saxophone - Kelly Santin
(not dipped into yet)

Technique of the Saxophone vol 1 scale studies
(i intend too start learning scales from this book)

Easy Jazz Conception for Saxophone Jim snidero
(too advanced for now but i play the cd a lot in the car!)

Maiden Voyage - Jamey Abersold
(on order from Amazon, probably too advanced for now but couldn't resist)

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Nick

Last edited:
The only books I would add to that list for now are Pete's 'Taming the Sax, Vol 1' and Larry Teal's 'Art of Saxophone Playing' for some lifelong learning!

Enjoy!

I'd just stick to what you have, all good books to see you through the first few years !

I started with the Standard of Excellence books. I bought the versions with a follow along cd included. I found it helpful to hear what I was reading.

Thanks for the suggestions.. Will check them out.

Just wondering if anyone knows of a book of scales that has a cd with it that demonstrates how too play them using different jazz articulations/excercises?

Last edited:
One thing thats sometimes overlooked is scales, get a copy of ABRSM Scales & Arpeggios for Saxophone, grades 1-8. Learn em inside out, upside down and back to front.

Just wondering if anyone know of a book of scales that has a cd with it that demonstrates how too play them using different jazz articulations/excercises?

This would be a great asset to us fossils (really everyone) that learn at home by our selves.
Pete Thomas when you wrote your books (have all books, cant afford the mouthpieces) I would assume you had to play each to confirm them. Don't suppose you recorded them? A CD to go with both books, with different articulations would be invaluable.

This would be a great asset to us fossils (really everyone) that learn at home by our selves.
Pete Thomas when you wrote your books (have all books, cant afford the mouthpieces) I would assume you had to play each to confirm them. Don't suppose you recorded them? A CD to go with both books, with different articulations would be invaluable.

Sadly no. One day I'll get round to playing the exercises, but I won't be providing a CD (they are so 2009 :) ) but will probably make a customer page on TamingTheSaxophone.

I did one from tamingTheSaxophone III:

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-exercises

BTW, to grab my attention in a post, rather than just mentioning me, I will get an alaert if you use the tagging system, just type the @ symbol then the name like this @sport