Edinburgh

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Café Supporter
Locality
London
Going to Edinburgh for the weekend.
Is there any music shop you would recommend? The kind of place with the secret mouthpiece drawer or the rusty unknown horn.

Thanks in advance

The Wind Section is Edinburgh's main place I believe. It has recently moved to the new address listed below.

The Wind Section
11-13 Cumberland Street
Edinburgh
EH3 6RT

Tel: 0131 557 6543

Dave.

Going to Edinburgh for the weekend.
Is there any music shop you would recommend? The kind of place with the secret mouthpiece drawer or the rusty unknown horn.

Thanks in advance

Be prepared for a Huge disappointment. I kid you not.:(

There are probably less than 50 saxes for sale on the whole of the East coast of Scotland. not counting Rikis who are huge internet sellers of mainly ultra-cheap Chinese.

If one or two of the Edinburgh Shops had stayed put things might have been better but moving always means Stock inventory reduction:(

If you can be bothered with the huge number of steps from the back of the castle down to Johnson Terrace you will be rewarded with some nice "jazz" cafe's, walk down toward Kingstables and there is a music shop who's name escapes me where I bought my Takamine guitar. Other than that enjoy a fantastic city, I never grow tired of exploring it.

If you can be bothered with the huge number of steps from the back of the castle down to Johnson Terrace you will be rewarded with some nice "jazz" cafe's, walk down toward Kingstables and there is a music shop who's name escapes me where I bought my Takamine guitar. Other than that enjoy a fantastic city, I never grow tired of exploring it.

Please use hypnosis if it helps. I know the Jazzbar (of course), but what about the shop?
I loved Edinburgh too, despite the weather.

Better than hypnosis, google maps... Its called "Red Dog Music", brilliant guitar shop, not very saxy though..

Hi aldevis, if you are there on Sunday evening pop along to Whighams wine bar (jazz cellar) in Hope Street. It used to be a regular hang out for jazz musicians and they would know all the shops plus you get good music too.

On a lighter side have a beer in Wee Windaes in the Grass Market if it is still there. As you enter there is a bloodstain just by the door right hand side where I had my nose broken in 1970 attending The Edinburgh Fringe Festival.

Foolishly I passed the following comment "The runway at Turnhouse is too short to take large jets." Comment from a fellow drunk "Whaet te `double expletive` ye na. Ye `double expletive ing` Englishman Followed by a wack on the the schnozzle. Happy days Regds. N

Thanks for the tip: I will practise my Chico Marx accent not to be confused for a Londoner, then.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent a pleasant enough hour in Mev Taylors shop a couple of years ago looking for a sop mouthpiece - http://www.mevtaylors.co.uk/sax.htm

Not a huge shop but a respectable range of products, and from what I was told at the time pretty much the only place in Edinburgh that would come anywhere near supplying decent sax gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent a pleasant enough hour in Mev Taylors shop a couple of years ago looking for a sop mouthpiece - http://www.mevtaylors.co.uk/sax.htm

Not a huge shop but a respectable range of products, and from what I was told at the time pretty much the only place in Edinburgh that would come anywhere near supplying decent sax gear.

Great. It is not far from my B&B. Thank you

Last edited:
Mev Taylor's have got smaller as they now share their premises with another music shop called Drum Central. On the other side of the street, on a corner of St. Patrick's Square you will find Scayles Music. Just a litttle further into town and opposite The Festival Theatre you will find Varsity Music. I agree with Clivey though, that there is not a lot doing.

Jim.

Thank you everybody for your tips and advice.
Edinburgh is a great town, with lovely people (but I already knew this).
Shame for the horrible weather.

I would like to praise some exceptional musician I played with, at the Jazzbar (I wish there could be such a venue in London):

Colin Steele (tp)
Alan Benzie (p)
Ed Kelly and Brian Shiels (b)
Bill Kyle (d)

Top class, sensitive, professional... everything.

How were the sax shops?
Mev Taylors was interesting. I did not have too much time though. A couple of old Buescher alto pieces (smelling of hell) and a SH JK (I did not investigate)

Mev Taylors was interesting. )

Gordon Bennett, they've got some pretty interesting prices. £40 for a second hand Sharkbite mouthpiece that costs £27 NEW? £450 for an Armstrong alto? £475 for a Bundy?

Back
Top Bottom