support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

dont know where to start

markyboy

I'm not very experienced in the world of jazz and don't know where a good place to start with is. I love all the fancy bluesy stuff and a lot of jazz on the odd occasion that I hear it. I have looked in record shops but don't really know what I'm looking at and when I bought s jazzfm compilation there was hardly any sax on there at all. As a new but raring to go saxophone player would love to be able to get inspiration from somewhere, btw I also love the jazz flute and that solo Ron burgundy (will ferrell) does in anchorman I though was brilliant. Any suggestions? Thanks MARKYBOY

Google is your FREE Friend ...

Search on UTube for Any and Everything you fancy mate ...

there is just so much stuff you can build up "List of Favourites" and get more of an idea of what you want to buy, play etc ...

So a search for blues sax music will give loads of replies for example ...

Hope that helps mate ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the message problem with Google is that without hearing anything how do you know if you like it and with youtube it seems mostly amateur or unknown players you won't get many of the famous or old timers on there trays why I posted on here for some suggestions

Thanks for the message problem with Google is that without hearing anything how do you know if you like it and with youtube it seems mostly amateur or unknown players you won't get many of the famous or old timers on there trays why I posted on here for some suggestions

Google for a player you like - Say Stan Getz -

This opens a search list page: [With a list like the one below [shortened by me for this example] ...

Web Images Videos Maps ... Snipped off here ...

Then click top left where it says Video's - and you are given a list of video's with Stan Getz playing sax ...

Just click videos on my list just above this line and you will see what I mean ;}

It's easy to find loads of video's with sound just experiment with the search engines and UTube videos etc ...

If your stuck - yell - It's no problem mate ... :cheers:

I get better results when I search for a song/tune, but not the performer, cos all the cover people label it as, for instance, Stan Getz The Girl from....

Some names to search for Paul Desmond, Canonball Adderly, John Coltrane, Zoot Sims, will get you going. Some of the channels also link to a lot of good stuff - try tamingthesaxophone, crazydaisydoo and my kevgermany (shameless plug).

I get better results when I search for a song/tune, but not the performer, cos all the cover people label it as, for instance, Stan Getz The Girl from....

Some names to search for Paul Desmond, Canonball Adderly, John Coltrane, Zoot Sims, will get you going. Some of the channels also link to a lot of good stuff - try tamingthesaxophone, crazydaisydoo and my kevgermany (shameless plug).

Hey Hey Kev

He may be better off if you explain this to Markyboy in a little more detail ... He is keen to learn and use these functions but [I sense] he has little experience at the moment ... ;}

Hope that helps ...

Thanks guys given me a few names to get me.started though sunray is eight about me not knowing about the channels thing

OK Mate ...

Kev mentioned among others ... a player who is a member here named crazydaisydoo ... [I wanna play like he does one day] :w00t: Brilliant ...

So if you follow this link which I got by Googling crazydaisydoo ...

Once the page opens ... Click the top video:

Autumn Leaves on Tenor Sax by Crazydaisydoo

Once it starts to play - If you look at the top just below UTube logo - You get the title and below that it says in BLUE crazydaisydoo ...

Click that and it will take you to his channel ... If you save this page as a favourite in your browser you will be able to visit his channel often and watch the 73 videos he has posted ...

That blue link leads you to the player you are watching's channel mate ...

Follow this procedure for any of the named players from Kev's list and bingo - a load of great music to keep you busy forever ...

Have a ball mate ...;}

PS - There are loads to choose from the video's shown on the right side of the players channel use the scroll bar ... and when you reach the bottom you may see a button - to see all or to show more ...

Thanks Sunray.

Another good source of names is this great saxophone players forum. Many of the posts have a link, and even if there's no link, there's a name and often some track and album names, so finding them on youtube or via google is a breeze. If you can find them on amazon, there's often a short excerpt to listen to.

Gives you a good chance to identify whoat sort of sax sound & playing style appeals to you - and a good idea of how you want your sound to develop. There's a world of difference between Parker and Biedecker, for instance. Some of the greats don't appeal to me at all. Others do. Important thing is that you find what appeals to you.

Couple more names: Sonny Rollins, Dick Parry (sax guy for most of the Pink Floyd recordings). Enjoy, it's a huge world!

OK Mate ...

Kev mentioned among others ... a player who is a member here named crazydaisydoo ... [I wanna play like he does one day] :w00t: Brilliant ...

So if you follow this link which I got by Googling crazydaisydoo ...

Once the page opens ... Click the top video:

Autumn Leaves on Tenor Sax by Crazydaisydoo

Once it starts to play - If you look at the top just below UTube logo - You get the title and below that it says in BLUE crazydaisydoo ...

Click that and it will take you to his channel ... If you save this page as a favourite in your browser you will be able to visit his channel often and watch the 73 videos he has posted ...

That blue link leads you to the player you are watching's channel mate ...

Follow this procedure for any of the named players from Kev's list and bingo - a load of great music to keep you busy forever ...

Have a ball mate ...;}

PS - There are loads to choose from the video's shown on the right side of the players channel use the scroll bar ... and when you reach the bottom you may see a button - to see all or to show more ...

PPS - Don't miss
crazydaisydoo's Black Orpheus [Link Here]

Sunray, your a star mate - I'm enjoying this link!
Les.

I'm not very experienced in the world of jazz and don't know where a good place to start with is. I love all the fancy bluesy stuff and a lot of jazz on the odd occasion that I hear it. I have looked in record shops but don't really know what I'm looking at and when I bought s jazzfm compilation there was hardly any sax on there at all. As a new but raring to go saxophone player would love to be able to get inspiration from somewhere, btw I also love the jazz flute and that solo Ron burgundy (will ferrell) does in anchorman I though was brilliant. Any suggestions? Thanks MARKYBOY
Hi,
This is my first post. I would like to recommend 'A Kind of Blue' by Miles Davis, 'Somethin' Else' by Cannonball Adderley and 'Our man in Paris' by Dexter Gordon. All superb, classic jazz albums.