All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Don't know why I purchased this but I just did!

C_Claudemonster

Formerly saxgirl22
Locality
England, UK
Hi All,
I'm not sure what possessed me to buy one of these but I've just purchased an Amati Kraslice AAS-23 alto sax for £100 in all brass/gold lacquer and it looks in superb condition. I think this is maybe why? as I thought it may be a super bargain sax that I could take down the pub to play instead of my Silver Trevor James alto that I think alot of!! It looks bloomin decent for the money so I wondered if any of you had opinions of the tonal & playing qualities of these saxes. It seems like a modern aas 23 model, though I know they stopped making this model but when I'm not sure!
Thoughts are welcome as I'm intrigued :)

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
The ones I've seen have been pretty average, but I expect it's perfectly playable.

This always puzzles me. When I'm in playing in public anywhere I want to have the best sax I've got, not some old piece of tat (I'm not saying the Amati is, but it just seems to be a lot of people's attitude - the best sax always stays at home). This afternoon - in a pub - I had about £12,000 worth of saxes with me. It makes my job easier.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
I had about £12,000 worth of saxes with me. It makes my job easier.

£1,200 worth of horns do the job, £12,000 do the job funnier.

I played my £500 JP for the money (4 gigs in 2 days, excellent horn) but my yanagisawa made me drool (in a good sense)...

dooce

Locality
Daventry
I bought one a couple of years ago - it was about 20 years old and a bit of a basket case but I did it up and it played OK, but I could never get on with the, what seemed to me, clonky keywork - compared to my other saxes, which are all relatively modern, nothing seemed in the right place and it was just a trial to play, so I flogged it - for a slight profit happily! I'm not damning it, there's nowt wrong with Amatis, but it just didn't suit me. Hope you have better luck.

C_Claudemonster

Formerly saxgirl22
Locality
England, UK
lol, I was trying to think of the word to describe the keywork of these older German/Czech saxes and 'Clonky' is perfect to describe the lumpiness of them! I play a Weltklang solist silver plate tenor with very Clonky keywork but I put up with is as it's built like a tank and sounds lovely - and I wouldn't have it any other way, bless it!

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
You might struggle to achieve that including a baritone (+tenor and alto).

Anyway, I've got 'em. Why the hell wouldn't I want to play them?

Justabout, with some luck (excluding mouthpieces....)

We often touch this topic. I get your point, but I still think that crappy place packed with molesting drunkies does not deserve the subtlety of my expensive lovely axe.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom