PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Does anyone know this vintage sax?

Murillogf

Locality
Brazil
Hello,

I've been wondering if someone know more about this saxophone or it's original maker? It's been in my family since forever and I can't find anything related to the brand marked on it. According to the Luthier its from the 30's and its seems a local brand marker was common in some regions of europe even if this sax was made in another factory.

I really love its tone and appreciate if someone knows more info.

321C803A-4276-40AC-A1A8-B14D25C8D8FA.jpeg

D1E7E4E8-600B-4BAB-9DFD-C48945244C85.jpeg

Rolled toneholes. And a 'turned baluster' style straight bellbrace.

This appears to be of an early Keilwerth-Amati-Kohlert school of the German/Czech region. Probably mid-late 1920's, could be very early 1930's too.

Front F key is there.

It's probably a quality horn. I bet it sounds really nice.

IMG_20200527_163444127.jpg

IMG_20200527_163605189.jpg

Not sure I subscribe to the mis-reading of Viollet-Auxerre theory though. Looks pretty certainly VOLT - AUX to me.

Thank you stitch! May I ask what book is this?

Thanks DavidUK, I had done a research on google and there is not much about this Sax, there is only some speculation that this Sax was made in Spain or Germany, and some people from Spain tried to sell it in old links. I believe the most useful infos I found until now are from Stitch and JayeNM

Thank you stitch! May I ask what book is this?
The New Langwill Index, a dictionary of musical wind-instrument makers and inventors by William Waterhouse; 1993; Tony Bingham, London.

It doesn't give much information about P Ronner beyond confirming the company's existence as a brass instrument dealer active within a vague time period. As I said above, I think the connection to Viollet-Auxerre is false, and as JayeNM pointed out, the sax is a stencil, actually made by one of the makers he listed but branded as Ronner. The Art Deco font, as well as the sax design suggest late 1920s/early 1930s.
If you dig around the images for German/Czech makers at bassic-sax you'l probably find a match for yours and be able to identify the maker.

There are a lot of visual similarities to my Franz Köhler baritone as well. Which would add more weight to the Czech/German/Bohemian suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom