support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Does a Twin Sax Case exist?

I've never seen one, although you could, I guess, get one custom-made. I have seen a case to take a tenor and straight sop, and loads to take a tenor and clarinet. Wouldn't a tenor and alto case be a bit on the big side? I've just matched a tenor and alto against my baritone case, and a double one would need to be nearly that big.

the trey pac case I have for my VII alto holds a separate case for clarinet with a hidden compartment below for flute(they're well known), but I have never seen one that would hold alto & tenor both in all my 45 yrs of experience in things saxophone. were there one can you imagine the weight and carrying it........ugh, grunt, groan....wheeze, pant, gasp.

They do exist - are you feeling strong ?

Battle Cases: Battle Cases the ultimate touring flight case for musical instruments

Tank Cases: http://www.the-tank.us/page2/page2.html

And for custom cases to your design you could try:

Kingham Cases would probably do you a bespoke case: KINGHAM MTM CASES LTD.

Gothard Flightcases: http://www.gothardflightcases.co.uk/

R J Flytes: Flight cases & transit cases made by R J Flytes

Manning Custom:

I wouldn't - but I'm just recovering from a herniated disc.

Rhys

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideally I’d like one case that could carry an Alto and Tenor Sax together. Does such a case exist?

Yes. You can order a twin instrument case from Holmbergs cases. Really sturdy cases. For the touring saxplayers who doesn't carry thier own saxes! I have seen a Roadcase for a low A bari and a tenor. You have to custom-order. I think they just carry the shell. The inside of the cases are custom-made.

http://www.hbc.se/index.htm

In the 20's Beuscher sold a set of straight saxes ( straight soprano and straight tip bell alto) that came in one case. I know a man that owns a set. Lovely saxes. The soprano is the LP 122 model. I already have the soprano. Out of topic.

Thomas

Ideally I’d like one case that could carry an Alto and Tenor Sax together. Does such a case exist?

I recently bought a Calzone alto case whilst in the States for the flight back in July, they are very strong and well made and a third of the price of sax.co.uk, Calzone also do a Alto/Tenor combined case http://www.hornsales.com/calzone-is...yle-flight-case-for-alto-tenor-saxophone-p-63 The weight might be an issue though the alto case is 13lbs on its own!

I recently bought a Calzone alto case whilst in the States for the flight back in July, they are very strong and well made and a third of the price of sax.co.uk, Calzone also do a Alto/Tenor combined case http://www.hornsales.com/calzone-is...yle-flight-case-for-alto-tenor-saxophone-p-63 The weight might be an issue though the alto case is 13lbs on its own!

Interesting to see, but they're not a third of the price of sax.co.uk, for UK buyers like Paul. It's just under half the price according to the price tag, but by the time you add on international shipping, VAT at 20% on both the case and the shipping, customs fee to release it and possibly import duties there's not going to be a lot in it. Probably still a bit cheaper at that (discount) price but certainly not a third of the cost. I've found this in the past when I've bought stuff from the US, usually used saxes. The initial price is very attractive, but in reality you've got to be very careful with your sums. On the other hand, if you happen to be in the US anyway, and bring it back yourself, you might get a better deal. I wouldn't want to suggest anyone tries to avoid taxes or duties, though, as that would be illegal and might result in an unfortunate interview with a customs man wearing a rubber glove.....

well low & behold, first time I've seen one of those......great for shipping & long distances, but a bit awkward just to carry from the car to a gig. very interesting though.....thanks for the pics & the info. I learned something new.

Interesting to see, but they're not a third of the price of sax.co.uk, for UK buyers like Paul. It's just under half the price according to the price tag, but by the time you add on international shipping, VAT at 20% on both the case and the shipping, customs fee to release it and possibly import duties there's not going to be a lot in it. Probably still a bit cheaper at that (discount) price but certainly not a third of the cost. I've found this in the past when I've bought stuff from the US, usually used saxes. The initial price is very attractive, but in reality you've got to be very careful with your sums. On the other hand, if you happen to be in the US anyway, and bring it back yourself, you might get a better deal. I wouldn't want to suggest anyone tries to avoid taxes or duties, though, as that would be illegal and might result in an unfortunate interview with a customs man wearing a rubber glove.....

I don't think the case would fit up my :shocked: but you never know!!

Thanks for all the replies Guy’s! I didn’t realise there are so many to choose from!

@jonf and ATG I didn’t know of any either apart from cases that allowed a Sop / Clarinet / Flute to be carried in addition.

@Aubrianna Merry I have tried lugging around two cases but its very hard for me as I only have one spare hand as I use a long cane. I have tried a Gig Bag on my back with an Alto whilst carrying the Tenor in my spare hand but it’s cumbersome to say the least! I agree putting the two in one bag is going to make it heavy but if it has wheels it won’t be a problem!

@kevgermany I need to double at the moment. If I only need one instrument then I’ll pack into a single case. The main reason for needing both instruments is that I’m doing my Jazz Grades on both instruments. Two separate cases are causing me quite a few headaches!

@rhysonsax Thanks Rhys! So much choice! I use a Pelican for my Photography and Filming so know just how strong they can be! The Battle Case looks awesome but maybe a tadge over the top. The custom options look great!

@thomsax Looks great but a bit bulky for what I had in mind!

@griff136 That looks great Griff!

@AndyG That’s the ticket! Thanks Andy! It looks fairly compact and on wheels. Can’t be any more difficult to have in tow than a suitcase? But judging by the straps on the back of the case it looks like it’ll double as a rucksack! Not something that I’d like to try with an Alto and Tenor in there :shocked:

@SaxyMalcom Thanks for the heads up. The overall weight was something that concerned me with these hard cases!

Vincent Bach Leather Doubler Alto & Tenor Saxophone Wheelie Gig Bag @ £335.75 that AndyG suggested looks the ticket. I’ll probably be lighter than the hard case options as well as more compact. Wide enough to be stable in tow and would be easy to set-up the Saxes in a confined area to. I’m thinking it could double as a sax stand too!

I was having a look on the sax.co.uk website and came across a Selmer Bach USA Alto/Tenor Canvas Doublers Wheelie Bag @ £260.00. It is the thirteenth bag down the page. It looks very similar to the Vincent Leather Doubler but almost £100 less!

Thanks once again for all your help and recommendations!