support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Dexter Gordon

funkymonk

Hello all

I'm having a lovely lazy Sunday. Last week I bought Biting the apple by Dexter Gordon. I'm absolutely in love with his tone and style. What other similar albums would you guys recommend? Dexter and others.

Many thanks

FM

Hi Funkymonk, got to agree with Juju there, i only came across Dexter last year and love Go, currently working on " Guess i'll hang my tears out to dry " on Tenor. Why not try some Stanley Turrentine, great tunes there too. Good luck.
Phil :welldone

There is a Tony Coe version of Guess i'll hang my tears out to dry from the 80's - album might have been called Canterbury Tale - which is truly beautiful. Touches of Dexter and Paul Gonsalves (to my ears).

My favourite sax track of all time is Dexter's ' I'm a Fool to Want You '. Features a superb trumpet solo by Freddie Hubbard. Dexter is the most 'masculine' sounding player I have ever heard.

Hi
This track is a Jazz masterpiece from start to finish. As well as the whole sax solo, I particularly love the entry of Hubbard's solo. Thank you very much for reminding me of it.
The funny thing is I would never have thought about Dexter as masculine sounding. In fact far from it ! I would say that Dexter was a guy that was so secure with his own masculinity that he was not afraid to sound not only tender but also very romantic.

Lockjaw Davis... now that's masculine ! Hahahahhahaha !

Kind Regards

Hello all

I'm having a lovely lazy Sunday. Last week I bought Biting the apple by Dexter Gordon. I'm absolutely in love with his tone and style. What other similar albums would you guys recommend? Dexter and others.

Many thanks

FM

Pretty much anything by DG is gonna be good. Our Man In Paris is my favourite of the few I've got.

Also well worth a watch is the film Round Midnight starring Dexter Gordon. Some fantastic playing and a stellar cast of supporting musicians (including Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter).

Check out the Complete Savoy & Dial Master Takes. This is a collection of recordings early in his career (1945-1947). Really incredible...

I bought this on your recommendation - and I'm very glad I did - great album!

Must explore more Savoy stuff - I've got a compilation that was given away with some magazine years ago and I never tire of listening to it.

Cheers, Steve

For me Dexter had the most muscular raw true titan tenor sound ever.His behind the beat phrasing is amazing.He was the ultimate hard bop tenor guy for me.Just a HUGE sound.Interstellar is the word.Legend is not enough.He sure lived the life.