support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

detect a leak and make leak light?

leeks.jpg

If you're looking for a solution on the very cheap, I picked up a couple of small (5 inch) USB powered LED strip lights on a flexible stem at the 99p shop for (no prizes here) 99p. With the aid of a USB extension cable they make a pretty usable leak light.
You can find them on ebay (180861253642) too...but because they're not that well built I reckon 99p is about the right price.
Again, with some epoxy and some heatshrink you could beef them up a bit.

Cheers,

Interesting tip, thank you.

If the horn seems to play better after you've rattled the bell keys a bit then there's a good chance that you might have a problem with an out-of-line bell - and perhaps some excess play in the action.

Have a peek down the bell. Cup your hand around the bell rim to shield light from getting in, stick your face down the bell and very gently close the low B/Bb keys. Look for any slivers of light around the pads (it'll usually appear around the front face of the pad).
Give the bell keys a bit of a wiggle - do they move from side-to-side between the pillars? If so that's a sign of shock damage - a knock to the case that gets trasnmitted through to the horn.

Cheers,
Thanks for that Steve, have just checked and cant see any light or movement anywhere go could it just be some muck that's lodged somewhere I wonder?

Thanks for that Steve, have just checked and cant see any light or movement anywhere go could it just be some muck that's lodged somewhere I wonder?

I wouldn't have thought it was down to muck...not unless it's the kind of muck that keeps finding its way back after you've given the keys a bit of a jiggle.

Maybe a pad or a piece of cork is a bit swollen, and some brisk working of the keywork compresses it temporarily.
It's often the case that there's a straw/camel's back problem that's just on the cusp of giving out completely, and a bit of jiggling is just enough to put it on the right side of the line.

Cheers,

How can a light go wrong? Did they hire a creative designer? some senior supervisor?
Well instead of being a very bright flexi tube that looked to be about 10mm in diameter as shown in the picture it was actually a flashing, yes flashing! not very bright affair about the thickness of a usb cable, so thin in fact that I was unable to poke it down through the sax without it coming out a tone hole, have just gone and bought the thin strip lamp as suggested by Steve.....

Well instead of being a very bright flexi tube that looked to be about 10mm in diameter as shown in the picture it was actually a flashing, yes flashing! not very bright affair about the thickness of a usb cable, so thin in fact that I was unable to poke it down through the sax without it coming out a tone hole, have just gone and bought the thin strip lamp as suggested by Steve.....

Make a nice package and give it to your guitarist as a present, to be used on stage. Guitarists love flashing things.

I still say you will find it hard to beat my £1 USB laptop light. One pound from our local pound shop, powered by the usb port via a usb extension cable, about 8 inches of led's (not flashing) and can reach all parts of my tenor. for one pound, brilliant..

It's not your week....
Ah silly me! had it wired wrong....works well and very bright, found a bit of light showing on the f keycup with normal pressure, squeeze a bit harder and it disappears, and a bit on bottom b, again it disappears if I squeeze everso slightly more than normal. am wondering now do I or don't I have two leaks....but looking at the bigger picture, does it effect my playing? hmm not really so I guess all is well in Skaville....

Ah silly me! had it wired wrong....works well and very bright
You should buy a drum kit

but looking at the bigger picture, does it effect my playing? hmm not really so I guess all is well in Skaville....

Playing without leaks in Skaville is like playing only right notes in Jazzopolis: pointless

Ah silly me! had it wired wrong....works well and very bright, found a bit of light showing on the f keycup with normal pressure, squeeze a bit harder and it disappears, and a bit on bottom b, again it disappears if I squeeze everso slightly more than normal. am wondering now do I or don't I have two leaks....but looking at the bigger picture, does it effect my playing? hmm not really so I guess all is well in Skaville....

You have 2 leaks. Off to the techs asap!