support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Dents and Dings: Discuss

For me, a ding would be the sort of mild indentation that on a cursory glance might be overlooked, but you might feel the slight indentation or see the distortion of a reflection around it.

A dent wound be a pronounced indentation that could not be missed, sorry Taz but that means your ding is my dent!

But I'm fussy like that.

Chris

A "dent" is caused by a blunt object or by a fall to the floor. A "cut dent" is created by a narrow or sharp object made of a hard material. A "ding" is the term commonly used for a small "cut dent". It is kind of counter intuitive, but "cut dents" and "dings" are much harder to remove completely than large "dents".

The photo above shows a "cut dent" in the terminology I was taught by my mentor. See how its edges are well defined and how deep it goes into the brass. It is easy to imagine the object it came in contact with. If it were much shorter from end to end and not so deep, it would probably be called a "ding".

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel a never ending sax ding/dent thing here.Well thats the thing with most things sax i guess !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is your cup half empty or half full :))):))):))):)))

If a dent is a small indentation, is a ding a small indingation?
Should a dentist (or a dingist) be involved?

A "dent" is caused by a blunt object or by a fall to the floor. A "cut dent" is created by a narrow or sharp object made of a hard material. A "ding" is the term commonly used for a small "cut dent". It is kind of counter intuitive, but "cut dents" and "dings" are much harder to remove completely than large "dents".

The photo above shows a "cut dent" in the terminology I was taught by my mentor. See how its edges are well defined and how deep it goes into the brass. It is easy to imagine the object it came in contact with. If it were much shorter from end to end and not so deep, it would probably be called a "ding".

After such an erudite explanation, I'm left wondering why the tool sites don't have separate dent, cut dent and ding removal tools. ;}

If a dent is a small indentation, is a ding a small indingation?
Should a dentist (or a dingist) be involved?

I'm developing an irrational fear of dingists...

It's the sound of the Dremel and the big pliers and that incomprehensible conversation they have with the the assisting dingal nurse about "left upper eights" and "suspended sixths" and "flat ninths" as they dent the dings and warm up the shellac in that leering manner

Uuurrrrgh Horrible

My "Russian Tenor" had an indented post. It had received a knock to the post pushing it in and moving the pad out of alignment...

405959256.jpg

405959254.jpg

I took off the guard and key/pad opposite the post, and using a sawn off screwdriver with a piece of cork superglued to its end, I bashed the internal raised metal with a rubber mallet until the post was where it should be. Worked well.

Anyone with this problem on their Selmer MkIV?

The Russian also has a "dent", which I've not tried to fix (a little more obvious if I mess up!)...

405959248.jpg

The Russian also has a "dent", which I've not tried to fix (a little more obvious if I mess up!)...

405959248.jpg

The position of this dent makes it a good candidate for the MDRS (magnetic dent removal system) in which a steel ball is rolled back and forth using a powerful rare earth magnet in a housing with a handle attached. It is hard getting a traditional dent ball at the end of a steel rod large enough to do the trick in through the top because of the extrusion of the octave pip.

I really like your D-I-Y solution to the pushed in post. It was effective and you observed the repair tech's hippocratic oath: "First do no (additional) harm." ;}

The position of this dent makes it a good candidate for the MDRS (magnetic dent removal system) in which a steel ball is rolled back and forth using a powerful rare earth magnet in a housing with a handle attached. It is hard getting a traditional dent ball at the end of a steel rod large enough to do the trick in through the top because of the extrusion of the octave pip.

I really like your D-I-Y solution to the pushed in post. It was effective and you observed the repair tech's hippocratic oath: "First do no (additional) harm." ;}

I saw a video of the MDRS a while ago. Looked vicious!!

:shocked:

I've heard about MDRS but I've never seen it. I take my hat of to the person that thought of this technique.

I saw a video of the MDRS a while ago. Looked vicious!!

:shocked:

Funny you should use that expression. A couple of days ago while working on making my own dent removal tools I accidentally moved the 2" magnet too close to the 1 1/2" magnet I had left on my bench. In a fraction of a second they were joined with a part of my little finger in between. The sad part is that I know better having worked with these for 7 years in the shop where I used to work. I was very lucky this time that the injury wasn't much worse. There won't be a next time.

Back
Top Bottom