support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones De-Mythifying the Purple Logo

Also Salvio you have possibly the best collection of saxophones on the forum...........unless someone can better it?

I do not agree. Especially because I inherited part of my ones. I think the Martin Collection of a friend of this forum much more awesome...
And he still wants to increase his collection negotiating with international sellers. An authentic sax hunter in acting in the Third World!:)

Last edited:
It does not matter where your horns came from, they are your collection. There are some fantastic horns owned by your fellow members on this forum with far more experience than myself. Simply ask for help and the members will gladly offer their advice and assistance.

You will enjoy being a member! Also look at Pete Thomas PPT mouthpieces and other goodies for sale which help the charity that benefits from the forum.

Hi Griff,

I sent you a PM about the brass extension, but I have trouble with the messaging system so I don't know whether it worked or not (?)

Regards,

Greg S.
Hi Greg No it hasn't come through.

Greg if you click on my web link below you can contact me through there.

Sounds logical Griff, and sticking with 62s here - there are non purple logo Mk1s made around the same time ,

This is interesting - are you guys talking here about the logo on the octave key mechanism, or the (horrible) transfer printed logo across the bell? I have a low serial number YAS62 and I was guessing it was an early 80s Mark I but it does not have the logo across the bell (and it doesn't look as if it has been scratched off). any clues? Thanks
nick

Can you post a photo of the bell engraving and where the logo should be, plus the octave key logo and first two S/N digits? Have you asked Yamaha what year it is? I take it that it has the long "J" bell key guard?

Can you post a photo of the bell engraving and where the logo should be, plus the octave key logo and first two S/N digits? Have you asked Yamaha what year it is? I take it that it has the long "J" bell key guard?
This is exactly what you need.

The purple logo that most people refer to is the printed transfer.
Now although Yamaha serial number are not the greatest in sequential understanding/consistency I have found yamaha to be good at answering and pinpointing when your sax was made.
Bear in mind,
Effectively the purple Logo 62 is considered the 1st series 62 but there were some with 'Stamped' wording on the bell that also fall into this 1st series. I believe these were amongst the very 1st ones.Then there was also the 1st series 'face lift' 62 which dropped the long running printed transfer (purple logo).
Then the 62II came out.

I think the 62II says exactly that so you would see YAS 62II on the body above the serial number. It's likely you have the true1st series or the face lift.

Thanks to you and saxlicker for (hopefully) helping me. I am only being nosey; I love my alto and would just be interested in celebrating its birthday.

SN is 0013**. yes it has the long guard (can easily post more pics)

I have emailed Yamaha and they wrote back almost straight away to say the SN was not on their database which was started in 1990. I bought the horn around 1991 and it was used then so I am guessing it is between 1979 and 1985.

thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_6397.JPG
    IMG_6397.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_6392.JPG
    IMG_6392.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Simples... You have a purple logo 62
The previous owner rubbed it off.
That blank area is right where the logo belongs. The Stamped early one and the later face lift were different than your picture.
Have a look at this
DSCN2082.JPG

Simples... You have a purple logo 62
The previous owner rubbed it off.
That blank area is right where the logo belongs. The Stamped early one and the later face lift were different than your picture.
Have a look at this
DSCN2082.JPG
Ah that makes sense. Thanks. So.... that makes it a Mark I between 1979 and.... 1991 (when I bought it...) ?

Ah that makes sense. Thanks. So.... that makes it a Mark I between 1979 and.... 1991 (when I bought it...) ?
Indeed it does and your serial number (despite the lack of sequential sense employed by Yamaha) ought to be a pretty early one right?

Well, if you are serious looking at this

I would guess your best description would be that you have a
1980's Vintage YAS 62.

Well, if you are serious looking at this

I would guess your best description would be that you have a
1980's Vintage YAS 62.

Ha that's a great idea!

If the truth be known, I am trying to talk myself out of the long journey towards buying a vintage horn. My 1980s vintage purple logo Yamaha 62 is plenty good enough for my standard of playing and there is no question that the most important thing is to practise more, not spend more money!

I still love the look of old horns though, so the next question (probably for another thread) is: should I get it de-laquered when I next get it serviced?!

Back
Top Bottom