support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Darkness and aliveness sought- Beaugnier Vito or Buffet 100?

Jane M L

I'm looking for an alto with lots of warmth,darkness and individuality. Maybe above all that feeling that the instrument is alive, which i got from a little tootle on Buffet 400 but not from Buffet 100. [ A local repairman near Aberystwyth said he thought the 100 was made in a very different factory from the 400 - that's what it feels like]

1] Has anybody had experience of the Beaugnier LeBlanc Vito sax as in the Yard Sale at the moment?
2] What is the livliest alto that you have ever played?

All responses gratefully received !

Jane
P.S. I don't think the repairman was right. The buffet 100 is a fine and complex instrument - just a bit too bright [ and modern?]
What do any of these private experiences mean when given words?

Last edited by a moderator:
Having played both the Buffet A400 and the Buffet A100 I think that they are both excellent, and the 100 is only marginally more bright - the sort of difference which can be bridged by playing a different mouthpiece or darker reeds quite easily. I used a Drake NY Jazz Alto with Marc Jean Lig and Francois Louis reeds and liked the sound on both, but I tend to produce a darker sound anyway. If you cannot produce a darker sound than a different sax may not result in a darker tone per se. Also it will depend on your experience of playing a sax and how developed your embouchure and your sound actually is - When I started off I was probably brighter in my playing, which has got darker over the years.

Yes, yes. But given all that what is the darkest alto sax ever?
Remember, I was there last Monday when you played the 2 Buffets with the same mouthpiece. I found them VERY different.
Also when I played the 400, i had this feeling of aliveness - like a cat that wants to jump away, just waiting till I relax my grip - fanciful but hopefully expressive of what i mean. And the Buffet 100 is not like that at all.

Yes, yes. But given all that what is the darkest alto sax ever?
Remember, I was there last Monday when you played the 2 Buffets with the same mouthpiece. I found them VERY different.
Also when I played the 400, i had this feeling of aliveness - like a cat that wants to jump away, just waiting till I relax my grip - fanciful but hopefully expressive of what i mean. And the Buffet 100 is not like that at all.

http://saxstation.com/getting-a-dark-sound-on-saxophone.htm

http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2010/07/drake-vintage-resin-ny-jazz-alto-saxophone-mouthpiece/

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070609231238AAMPVqh

I'd have to say that my experience of playing both was different to yours, but can only ever be subjective. As a beginner I'd be very happy playing the A100, for sure. The only way you will find a sax that suits what sound you are looking for is to go and try a range of them, which means that you will have to travel to Bristol and beyond. You sound unhappy at having bought the Buffet A100, so you are best trying before you buy next time.

As i said in my mini review ( http://cafesaxophone.com/showthread.php?10497-Mini-Review-Buffet-400-and-100-Altos-side-by-side ): "...the 100 has a slightly brighter tone to my ear. This was with my Yamaha 4C MP and no doubt could be made darker with a different MP."

I too found that only after 2-3 months of playing alto, with lessons, could I get a different sound/tone by adjusting my embouchure/mouth. To start with I was very monotone. The Jupiter and Yamaha student saxes didn't help this whereas the two Buffets, the Vito, the Beuscher 400, the two Tenors ALL can now bend to my ways after 8 months playing.

Lessons and time are THE key I feel.

Are you expecting too much too soon? I know in 2-3 years a vintage horn will be easier for me to play than it is now, but I stick with the modern Buffet so as to learn the basics first.

I think the difference is very distinct indeed, having played both at Tommapfumo's with same mouthpiece. But ears are different too, I suppose.
There is surely a range of subtlety between sounds of all the various saxes. I'm not seeking to argue endlessly about these 2 Buffets, i just want to know whether the Beaugnier will have a distinct French vintage sound, which, with a suitable mouthpiece would give me nearer the individual sound I'm looking for.
I think i have named this thread wrongly - it should be ' which is the darkest, liveliest alto ever'. And you and Tom are both ignoring the idea of liveliness completely. perhaps it doesn't mean anything to you?
Anybody out there who knows what I mean?
I'll start a new thread.

Perhaps the question should be which PLAYER has an "XYZ" distinct sound, not which Sax?

Given six of the most vintagey French saxes in the world, you may still have a bright sound?

That's why you can only find the ideal combination of you/sax/MP/reed by going somewhere you can try out loads of alternatives.

Or.... buy loads of saxes to try at your leisure, like I do!!

;}

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom