support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Damaged Alto Neck Ugh !!

Petlyn

Locality
Wirral NW UK
Hi All

I've done the impossible, managed after 40+ years to drop my good old Vito Alto (Yamaha Japan) and bent the neck beyond repair (I have had several repairers look at it) unfortunately I am nowhere near a Music Shop to take my sax to to get it looked at for a replacement neck, have been tempted to buy from eBay (simply because their cheap and may or may not be OK). Does anyone have an idea for a suitable neck for the Vito and answer a simple question ! is it correct that the neck is responsible for the most positive tone and intonation ?? (I have read).

Thanks for looking and have fingers crossed.

Solution
OK, now....you need to STOP doing that ;) ...you have done this on two of your threads so far....

IF you want to close your thread, contact a moderator.

Until that is done, folks can and will continue to reply.

For posterity sake, here in US a replacement neck (with furniture), from Yamaha, costs around $125 or so.
I have had some success buying certain chinese replacement necks off of eFlay and have them work fine....for around $40. I look for ones which have the correct tenon diameter and then check where the octave key ring 'reaches' down to in relationship to the tenon ferrule.
There are some out there which actually copy the Vito-Yama 21/23 neck brace style, and those are good matches...

Interesting thanks...
If it's a Yamaha Vito, why wouldn't you buy a Yamaha or Yamaha Vito neck? Heck, you could probably buy the entire horn and put the neckless body back up for sale.

YAS-21, YAS-23 would probably be the model numbers.

Vote:
Upvote 0
If it's a Yamaha Vito, why wouldn't you buy a Yamaha or Yamaha Vito neck? Heck, you could probably buy the entire horn and put the neckless body back up for sale.

YAS-21, YAS-23 would probably be the model numbers.

Thanks for the quick response impressed. Sax.co.uk given all the detail on the sax say they can't help and I need to TAKE IT to a shop !!

Thanks

Vote:
Upvote 0
Don't know whether they can help but Curlywood is close to you, might be worth a visit.

Vote:
Upvote 0
A drop that bent the neck to that degree could also mean there is other damage to the mechanisms that needs to be taken to a shop.

Vote:
Upvote 0
The neck needs to fit the neck socket, perfectly. As far as I'm aware a neck needs to be fitted to the neck socket. I would imagine this is why you're being asked to take it into the shop.

@curlybob is on here.
I'm sure a trip over or under the water to visit the shop will be a pleasant experience.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Could you put the photos you sent the store on here? Let's have a look?
As said above, the tenon must be custom fitted to make the seal. Not a matter of tightening the thumb screw. This does not correct a leaking tenon.

Vote:
Upvote 0
The neck needs to fit the neck socket, perfectly. As far as I'm aware a neck needs to be fitted to the neck socket. I would imagine this is why you're being asked to take it into the shop.

@curlybob is on here.
I'm sure a trip over or under the water to visit the shop will be a pleasant experience.

Pleasant experience Colin ugh! I hope Bob or Neil get back to me as it's back to band and I've got to take my jaws harp its just not the same.

In your experience Colin does the 'quality' of the neck affect the tone/intonation

Vote:
Upvote 0
Sorry. I didn't know about your disability.

Many find a neck can make a small difference to over all tone. I find a clean affects it more. I wouldn't be concerned.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Could you put the photos you sent the store on here? Let's have a look?
As said above, the tenon must be custom fitted to make the seal. Not a matter of tightening the thumb screw. This does not correct a leaking tenon.

Thanks. Unfortunately the machine shop I entrusted it to try to straighten it has cracked the crook and its 'had it', it cannot be repaired without 'expert' hands and even then it won't be as it was originally. Of course they did their best I'm sure.

Vote:
Upvote 0
@curlybob is on here.
Not since the sixties!
I'm sure Curly used to give any repair work to someone on the Wirral... wait there while I wander downstairs....Alec McGinnity, New Brighton, though on the way down and back thought I'm not sure if he retired.
And that reads as if he did in the last five minutes.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Yes Colin you are correct Bob\Neil gave the work to Alan/Alec thought he was Alan (called him Al) but what the 'eck and yes he has retired pity as he was just 'brilliant' and had an excellent reputation, I 'think' the work now goes to a guy in Wales but not absolutely sure.

Vote:
Upvote 0
One way to get around the potential mismatch in tenon fit is to buy another crook - and if it doesn't fit, send both to a repairer and ask to have the tenon sleeves swapped. Yep, you'll probably loose a bit of lacquer - and you'll have to adjust the crook key (easy peasy). You can do all this from your armchair.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Cor sounds painful SH. For interest I am looking at necks on Amazon and surprised to find they appear to be better ie. thicker than the stock neck, anything from 120 - 140gms my neck a genuine Vito hi is only 101gms amazing and of course you can always send um back.

Cheers and thanks again.

THINK ITS TIME TO CLOSE THIS POST !!

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom