PPT mouthpieces

Crook first or mouthpiece first?

Tommy Ng

Hi

I always fit the mouthpiece onto the crook before fitting the crook to the sax. It is easier to put the reed on mouthpiece. There is a problem here especially for sop sax crook as there is very little area on the crook where i can hold while fitting the mouthpiece. I usually hold the "octave key" on the crook and worry i would damage it.

Any suggestion??

Hi Tommy,
I'm afraid i can't help with your problem, i alway's put the crook on the sax first, then the reed on the mouthpiece, then mouthpiece on crook in that order.I just had a look at your video's, really good playing, and a beautiful tone, well done.
Rob.

I always put the neck strap on and hang the sax on it, then crook on sax, then reed on mouthpiece, cap on mouthpiece, then mouthpiece on sax.
I was never "taught" how to put a sax together, so that's how I do it.
Whether right or not, it seems to work OK for me. :)

Hi Rob and Mandy

Thanks for sharing.

Putting the mouthpiece last can do provided the connection between the mouthpiece and crook isn't too tight. If it is too tight, then the ligature might get lose. I have this problem and that's why i decided to connect the mouthpiece to the crook first.

tom :)

I do what other people on this thread seem to do, put the crook on the sax and put the reed on the mouthpiece before putting that on the crook. I do occasionally get the problem you mentioned about the reed coming loose, but not very often and its normally because I haven't tightened the ligature enough.

I always put the neck strap on and hang the sax on it, then crook on sax, then reed on mouthpiece, cap on mouthpiece, then mouthpiece on sax.
I was never "taught" how to put a sax together, so that's how I do it.
Whether right or not, it seems to work OK for me. :)

This is exactly how I do it. Great minds, etc. etc.