COVID-19 Statistics

OP
saxyjt

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
Locality
France
Something stroke me this morning as I saw the latest report of new cases in the USA and ...

1594475771676.png

Similar numbers in different boxes. The USA had about the same number of new cases reported in a day than the total number of cases in Indonesia since the start of the pandemic! I sorted this by population and Indonesia has the closest population to the USA.

These are just numbers, but! :eek:

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
Locality
KIC 8462852
Something stroke me this morning as I saw the latest report of new cases in the USA and ...
Your typo of 'stroke' connected to death and disaster reminded me of a comment by Frankie Boyle on Mock the Week about Saddam Hussein.
Those easily offended should not search for it.

OP
saxyjt

saxyjt

Subscriber
Locality
France
Oops, I obviously meant 'struck me'.

See, my lack of live practice with native speakers is starting to show! :oops:

just saxes

Commercial Supporter
Locality
Santa Cruz, CA
It's really the fatality numbers you have to look at, still, to get a sense of what stage of development, and what kind of outbreak rate, you're looking at in any given country (because although testing reach and strategies -- and lack thereof -- vary, the point at which people seek treatment is likely pretty consistent across environments, except in those places where seeking medical attention is problematic. While there's going to be variance in how different governments and agencies do or don't credit fatalities as "due to Covid" that variance is apt to be less extreme among nations at a similar level of industrial development.

Indonesia's hard to compare to the US because most of those variables that have to be similar aren't.

I would compare the US (and EU, let's be real, and I will defend this in a sec) to Taiwan, if you want to embarrass somebody.

I actually paid close attention to Italy and UK fatality numbers for a good while (though in the US) because I wanted to get some firm sense of what stage of development the US, and my locality, were really in when Italy and the UK were at around 4.5/10,000 deaths per capita. When reports in the US were of Italy and GB beginning to open up, seemingly without much controversy, that is the deaths/capita stage you all (in Italy and GB) were at.

Ironically, right now, the US is clearly at a crisis point where infection rates are clearly accelerating to the point where the overrunning of our medical system, nationwide, looks to be on its way to outdoing Italy (it isn't yet, but it seems headed there), and we are only approaching that 4.5/10,000 point.

National sentiment is pretty obviously gradually shifting. Trump states (rural and exaggeratedly white states, demographically) are now discovering that "magical thinking" only gets you a worse outbreak, and the virus isn't going to spare any one, or any place, unless a vaccine is released before the evolution of the outbreak brings clusters to their doorstep.

Our leadership is poisoned, but you have to also understand that our infection rate per capita isn't where you might think it is, yet.

Where I am, a relatively spared area up to now because it's coastal, and thanks to dumb luck, the local health departments supervisor warns that our hospitals locally are in danger of running out of ICU beds at the end of this month.

We're in greater danger of that than the Wuhan of CA, Santa Clara, because their tracing and communal sense of reality are superior. Santa Clara, with 1.9 million people, much more densely packed in than Santa Cruz County, is already on a downswing as far as the surging recent outbreaks. Santa Cruz, where I am, is just getting started. In Santa Clara, every one has been touched in some way by the virus (someone tested positive at a child's school, or in their child's classroom, at a minimum), and that informs their better masking and distancing. In the city of Santa Cruz, where I am, hardly anybody yet knows any one else personally that has tested positive, and thus even in this "blue" area the people think like right wing conspiracy theorists.

The virus itself will correct that, but because our infection rates in my actual city are low (most of the county cases are in Watsonville, 15 miles to the South), people's hysterical denial response is still strong, because they still believe denial is a valid response, since so far the rate is still low. When the cases push past the point where nobody knows someone, directly, who is or has been sick, that will all change.

OP
saxyjt

saxyjt

Subscriber
Locality
France
@just saxes I get what you're saying, but when the daily cases in the USA is up to the level of Indonesia's total after roughly 4 months I'm worried something's gone horribly wrong!

Nothing can justify what's happening. You guys need to wake up and say it out loud! Denial is no longer an option.

just saxes

Commercial Supporter
Locality
Santa Cruz, CA
@just saxes I get what you're saying, but when the daily cases in the USA is up to the level of Indonesia's total after roughly 4 months I'm worried something's gone horribly wrong!

Nothing can justify what's happening. You guys need to wake up and say it out loud! Denial is no longer an option.
I think people often overestimate how they themselves would behave if in the midst of a "4th Reich" type of movement. Humans haven't really changed, brainwise, since the time of the Greeks.

Basically we have a problem right now of 80% of the population being victimized by the most dysfunctional, ignorant (literally the least educated, lowest IQ) portion of society, because that other portion is much more regular (the same, conformed to each other over multiple generations) in its beliefs, hatreds, etc.. It's all a product of colonial expansion, empire and its ideologies, which fails to effect...basically nobody in the Western Hemisphere. It's very difficult for any one who has more in common with the colonizer than the colonized to see this, because they (really "we," I am guilty, as you are) are too busy being it, not wanting to believe they are just blips in much larger, long term forces.

Obviously the correct Covid response is "all for one, one for all," but the lizard part of the human brain doesn't work like that.

I'm free. I battle. I tell people to f*** off to their faces when they abuse me and others. Do you?

Very few do.

It's like the "whistleblower" phenomenon, which as some know I've also experienced in full. Everybody wants to believe they'd be the whistleblower. In reality, very few, when they see what happens to whistleblowers, would actually subject themselves to it, so they don't.

just saxes

Commercial Supporter
Locality
Santa Cruz, CA
You know...I can put that another way. You're talking to me, here. I'm awake. I don't know anybody who is being as cautious, or as obsessive about gathering information, as me, including the family member I mentioned earlier with the gene/pharmaceutical research lab. I'm engaged everywhere I can be. I'm engaged here, where I'm alienating a good portion of the weird right-leaning contingent of the saxophone marketplace, which is a bizarrely disproportionate segment of the marketplace itself (why the hell are bigoted dummies so attracted to a music that is specifically aimed at disproving the stupidity of bigotry?).

Rather than talking to me, talk to them.

Peer pressure is what changes attitudes, not any rationale, and that is universal (sadly) among humans. When you address me with that, you're pressuring the segment that is already engaged.

If you want to see change, engage the enemy.

I already am, personally.

OP
saxyjt

saxyjt

Subscriber
Locality
France
I have so many friends, not to mention family in the USA that it frightens me to see what's going on.

I just had a long conversation with my brother in LA and from talking with him the denial is obvious.

just saxes

Commercial Supporter
Locality
Santa Cruz, CA
I have so many friends, not to mention family in the USA that it frightens me to see what's going on.

I just had a long conversation with my brother in LA and from talking with him the denial is obvious.
It's a total horror show. I decided a while back that the only way for me to best contribute to resisting the fascistic movement in my own country (no descendants of colonialism are immune to it, IMO, and all have the seeds of it waiting to sprout -- and not just the empire, but within the colonized) was to disown any one in my sphere who is on that side (the side of Alex Jones, Youtube-addiction-that-ends-in-naziism, etc.) because the best thing one can do for them is let them understand that, if you're going to walk that walk, you only get to have the kinds of friends that are doing that, too, and that is eventually its own corrective measure.

We are going to wake up. We just have to suffer enough to overcome the hysterical denial. I was putting this together to send to a friend, while killing time waiting for the UFC to begin. This is a spot I normally surf daily, especially when there's big Winter swell. It's a surfcam, and these were the first groups of people that came along (I didn't cherry pick). No one is actively wearing a mask, but several have them around their necks. It's probably not that dangerous, because of the sun, the wind, maybe even the salt air, but above all the outdoor setting. But it's been like this, down there, from the beginning, i.e. before it was known that this kind of behavior is relatively safe. Of course, a side-effect of this is that people bring the illusion of safety that this outdoor/beach environment presumes to other settings, along with them.
7.11.2020.jpg

I normally spend at least a couple of hours surfing down there, every day, and then visit a spot up the street when work is done to have a beer -- up to 4 or 5 hours, a day. It's a big part of my life.

I haven't been out of my car down there for 4 months because it's impossible to stand in a spot there and not have someone walk within 2 feet of you yelling into their phone, which they're yelling into on speakerphone, because they don't want the microwaves near their head.

I was being overdramatic above, but it is very important to engage the people living in denial. Only the perception that their denial is normal -- or for the narcissists the perception that their gaslighting is paying off -- allows them to continue to exist within it. It's a team effort (locally, nationally, globally). But it's important to engage the people that the problem. Everybody has their role to play. No successful effort to change anybody happens in a single, or single-type, of intervention. Here in the US we wouldn't have a Martin Luther King day if not for Malcolm X's scaring the **** out of powerful white people -- we specifically have an MLK day to discourage Americans from taking up the Malcolm X route. Hardly anybody ever thinks of that. It takes an army, many of whom are at war with each other, to vanquish any organized, widespread form of evil.

I'm down. Let's do it. : powertothepeoplefistemoji:

Last edited:
Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom