PPT mouthpieces

Copyright etc.

Pete Thomas

Cafe Moderator
Commercial Supporter
I've moved some posts from the Jan Garbarek thread to here, where I will discuss the copyright issues thrown up be trying to embed Soundcloud and queries re: Youtube.

Oh....what about youtube links Pete? :shocked:

That's another can of worms.

Linking to stuff (via the embed) that is already uploaded by someone else is probably OK. But linking to copyright stuff you upload is not.

I was looking into the Youtube aspect the other day, and it's a bit confusing. On one hand they don't allow copyright material, but on the other if something is copyright they give the owner the option of taking it down or making money from the ads. The uploader can have their account closed on a 3 strikes and you're out basis.

Re: What's he doing

Ah okay Pete, I was thinking of vids of me playing covers with the band that someone else has filmed and uploaded, and I've put links on here - but in a panic earlier I went to remove them and I can't edit them :shocked: should I stop worrying? or would you have already removed all youtube vid links if you were worried about them? (I'm such a worrier I can't believe I'm not grey!!!)

Ok, I've had some time to think about and look into this:

Youtube can (in most cases) automatically identify copyright tracks (not sure about covers) and they then give the owner the choice to have the content removed or to make money off the ads. With this system it is sort of implicit that embedding into other sites such as this is OK to do. Although (I imagine) a good 75% of Youtube content is originally an infringement of copyright.

Soundcloud have no such system, which means embedding soundcloud audio here puts the cafesaxophone in a possibly (more) dangerous position in regard to copyright.

None of this is very clear, but for now I'm prepared to take the risk with youtube (as has been the case anyway), but not Soundcloud. This only applies to embedding in this site, not clinking to. hence the continued removal of the Soundcloud embed feature. Sorry about that.

You are all welcome to comment.

Question...

You've bought the music, learnt to play it. Can you then create your own arrangement? And are there restrictions on when/where you can play it?

So for instance, I buy something and go through it with my teacher. Can I then play it in a music school/teacher's concert? What about busking? Real gigs?

Question...

You've bought the music, learnt to play it. Can you then create your own arrangement? And are there restrictions on when/where you can play it?

So for instance, I buy something and go through it with my teacher. Can I then play it in a music school/teacher's concert? What about busking? Real gigs?

Live music is usually covered by a licence that any club, theatre or concert venue would need to operate commercially. I'm not totally sure if schools need a separate performance licence or whether it's covered under whatever licensing they need to be a school in the first place, but obviously schools do have live music and I'm sure all bona fide educational establishments have this covered legally.

As for busking, any council that designates busking areas and licenses buskers would have this covered, but other normal street buskers are out there in the wild west at their own risk.

There was a few years back some ridiculous charge against music shops who allowed people to try out guitars in the shop without a PRS licence.

Question...

You should only make arrangements of free music or get a permission to use it. Even using copyrighted sound effects may lead you into trouble if you encounter a 'difficult' copyright holder. So the wise thing to do is stay away from copyrighted material.

However, you can probably do whatever you like (more or less) as long as it's small scale and none profit.

Back
Top Bottom