support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Recording Putting covers on youtube (copyright question)

jools28

Locality
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure which part of the forum to put this in-was going to put it in the playing section at first as i know next to nothing about all this technical stuff, but I thought it might make more sense in this part of the forum.

Basically, I would like at some point to put some covers up on youtube-I wanted to wait until I got a pro sax and better equipment, but that could take years(!) so I thought I would start putting some stuff up in the next few weeks/months onto youtube. My question is about copyright-I have not joined youtube yet so can't ask them, but I did a little searching on google and found that a few years ago a lot of instrumental covers were being taken down (not sax specifically, just covers in general) because of copyright infringement and people would lose all their subscribers etc. Now I am just doing this for fun but I do not want to go against youtube rules inadvertently.

I need to know what is allowed and what isn't-it seems things have changed a bit and become more relaxed and that now youtube is more likely to just put ads on your video (no problem with this) than take it down for breach of copyright. But what I want to know is-is it ok to use a song-take the vocals off and play sax over it and put this onto youtube? Or alternatively-get one of those instrumental/karaoke versions and use that? I would contact the owner of that vid in that case before I put my version up.

A few songs I play have not been covered before and I may not be able to find instrumental versions of the song so in those cases I would have to use audacity to take the vocals off the song. I would like to use the original songs if possible-is this all ok? What does everyone else do when they put up covers onto youtube or any other public site? I am really ignorant when it comes to copyright laws and I don't want to break them but I see that there are lots and lots of covers on all sorts of instruments and I wondered how they did this/if they had permission/if they paid for a licence etc. to put stuff up. Sorry for the long post. Thank you!

Jazzaferri

Locality
Victoria BC Canada
AS long as you aren't selling anything, worst case is you'll get a cease and desist letter/email and they will pull it.

Vlad

Locality
S/E UK
There's lots of this kind of stuff on youtube, they don't seem to pull it, in real life whatever the 'technical' status is, I'd just go ahead and do it like everyone else does !

jools28

Locality
United Kingdom
Thanks Jazz and Vlad-yeh I'm definitely not selling anything just doing covers for fun-have decided to just go ahead and do it instead of waiting for that elusive pro sax, a good mic and all the technical equipment! I don't even have headphones which a lot of players seem to have, but ah well-they seem to be pretty kind to sax players on youtube I think (surprisingly!) even the bad ones still get quite positive ratings-although the better you are the more views you get and the actual amazing players probably get the most criticism!

jimmylh

Locality
Warner Robins, Georgia USA
I have a version of Killer Joe on my channel. The video is still there a year later after I got this automated message:

Ads might appear on your video.

Copyrighted content was found in your video.

The claimant is allowing their content to be used in your YouTube video. However, ads might appear on it.

Viewing restrictions
  • None
Monetization
  • Monetized by claimant
    You can use the copyrighted content in your video, but ads might appear on your video.
If you agree with these conditions, you don't have to do anything.
Learn more

jimmylh

Locality
Thank you thank you thank you Jimmy-just what I wanted to know :D
I have other well known covers on there too, but that is the only one that got flagged. I'm going to take it as a compliment something could recognize what I was playing. :w00t:

jimmylh

Locality
More likely the backing track.
It was just a Biab backing with me playing Killer Joe. Surprised me seeing how they never cared about the rest of the songs. Also no ads ever showed up, at least when I view it. That video only has 54 views in a year so nobody got rich off it. lol

Last edited:

Jazzaferri

Locality
Victoria BC Canada
once you are on their radar they probably have an countingbot

Top Bottom