support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Concert Last Night

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Café Supporter
Last night, my big band performed a concert at the college and for the first time, I soloed in front of an audience. I was anxious and tense all day, but I pulled it together. The concert went well. The band sounded good and the audience enjoyed it.

I squeaked twice at the very beginning of the first tune. Nervous tension, I guess. But I just kept playing and settled in and played pretty well. My solo went pretty well too. I played 32 bars on "Manteca" and a few people complimented me after the concert.

It was nice to put that notch in my belt. I look forward to more fun nights like this. We won't be playing again until next semester, but I befriended one of our trumpet players and he told me about a Tuesday night jam session in our area, so there's a good playing opportunity.

I want to thank everyone here in the Cafe for the advice, support and encouragement. This is a really terrific community.

I was anxious and tense all day, but I pulled it together.
I look forward to more fun nights like this.

Congratulations. The two lines I've quoted pretty much encapsulate the experience of performing (for me, anyway). The cycle of A and B :) The joy of B over rides the concern of A every time, but I keep forgetting about B in the time and space between B and A...

Congratulations. The two lines I've quoted pretty much encapsulate the experience of performing (for me, anyway). The cycle of A and B :) The joy of B over rides the concern of A every time, but I keep forgetting about B in the time and space between B and A...

That's so true, isn't it? If we could eliminate A and go straight to B, it would be so much less stressful. ;)

Last night, my big band performed a concert at the college and for the first time, I soloed in front of an audience. I was anxious and tense all day, but I pulled it together. The concert went well. The band sounded good and the audience enjoyed it.

I squeaked twice at the very beginning of the first tune. Nervous tension, I guess. But I just kept playing and settled in and played pretty well. My solo went pretty well too. I played 32 bars on "Manteca" and a few people complimented me after the concert.

It was nice to put that notch in my belt. I look forward to more fun nights like this. We won't be playing again until next semester, but I befriended one of our trumpet players and he told me about a Tuesday night jam session in our area, so there's a good playing opportunity.

I want to thank everyone here in the Cafe for the advice, support and encouragement. This is a really terrific community.

Cool, nice ! Most DEFINITELY do NOT rely on the stage band solely for playing opportunities. If you can, I'd urge you to start playing in different band contexts...jams, trios, quartets, whatever you can find there.

Quick word of advice: is the jam session at a venue or at someone's house/studio ? Verify with the trumpet player the 'intensity level' of the Jam. The word means different things to different people..ranging from "kicking back with chill folk and playing some Real Book tunes" to "balls-out shredding session".

Congrats ! Did anyone record it ?

Cool, nice ! Most DEFINITELY do NOT rely on the stage band solely for playing opportunities. If you can, I'd urge you to start playing in different band contexts...jams, trios, quartets, whatever you can find there.

Quick word of advice: is the jam session at a venue or at someone's house/studio ? Verify with the trumpet player the 'intensity level' of the Jam. The word means different things to different people..ranging from "kicking back with chill folk and playing some Real Book tunes" to "balls-out shredding session".

Congrats ! Did anyone record it ?

The jam is the laid back variety. It’s at the home of a piano player. Bunch of musicians playing from the Real Book. I’m definitely not ready for a shredding session. I don’t need a cymbal thrown at my feet.

The concert was recorded and there is also video of 4 of the tunes. Should have the files soon.

Well done. I play in a Community Orchestra and usually do a solo at our concerts. The nerves get better. I now don't get nervous until halfway through the piece before (I think I've said that elsewhere here).
My daughter usually records my performance and I post it here (if I think it's good enough!)