support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Concert Band comeback

Give it a go! I first joined this band in 2005 when I had been trying to plax sax (seriously) for only about seven months (although I did have about forty years of previous musical experience of various kinds). No, I wasn't quite ready in terms of facility on the instrument, but it made me work!

It also helped that I had enough prior experience to know how to cheat when necessary - but that doesn't cover everything.

I will, but I need to get to a better standard first. Not too far off, I've a standing invitation to do a few numbers with a friend's band, will take him up as soon as I'm up to a reasonable level. I'm not procrastinating, just realistic about how long it's taking me to get the skills up. And timing is a big issue at the moment, as is simply learning the notes.

Kev,

I definitely have those timing and reading issues - but the band is very forgiving. I'm sure you're a better player than I am. I've found a suitable band helps with getting the skills up, particularly timing. I mean a band aimed at being supportive of beginners, doing it for fun, rather than striving for musical excellence.

If you have one locally its worth just diving in. If I'd waited until I felt I was good enough I'd probably still be waiting 5 years from now. (And if I were to compare myself to the better band members I'd be embarassed go back, and I'm already cringing inside at the mistakes I'll make in our concert in a fortnight.) Embrace the fear and go with the words in your sig. The first step will be the hardest :)

John

Hi Stefan

Good luck with the band it looks very well organised,you kind of dampened my thoughts on trying something similar when you mentioned the cold nights (rehearsing I suppose) just shows what a wimp I am,but I must try to do something to start playing with others and boost my confidence ...john

Slight change of plan - I have now been drafted in to bolster up the flutes.

I'm not sure whether this is because

a) the conductor (old school friend) imagines that I can still play the flute like I could thirty years ago (he's in for a shock)

or

b) of the way I currently play the saxophone!

Oo-err! They look a bit good. Denmark and Europe, eh? The best we can do is 5 miles down the road.

Longfellow might have forseen our band when he wrote:

"There was a little girl
Who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead;
And when she was good,
She was very, very good
But when she was bad she was horrid".

Back
Top Bottom