support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Concerning the YTS-82z

Andante cantabile

Stephen Howard says in his review of the the YTS-82z that isn't as immediately accessible as the rest of the Yamaha range, that one has to spend time with it and learn its characteristics, and that he would be surprised if many people picked it up and found it had instant appeal.

I have an 82z. It is the only tenor I have played. I think I am no longer a complete beginner, and it is just possible that I am starting to understand what Stephen Howard means. I certainly have grown to like the instrument, but there have been moments when I wondered whether I made the right choice.

My set-up is a Yamaha 5CM and a Rico Royal #2 or #2 1/2. (I only play classical music). This seems to work reasonably well for me.All the same, bearing in mind Pete Petersen's view (www.petepetersen.com/petefolder/pdf/mouthpiece.pdf) that "the ideal mouthpiece is the one that makes it possible to achieve your desired sound with the last amount of effort", and eventually I hope to work out what the least amount of effort in my case is. I am sure I am not there yet.

I would be interested to hear from players who have been able to compare the YTS-82z with other tenors over a longer period, especially (a) whether in their view it is less accessible than othe tenors, and () what they have found to be useful mouthpiece-reed combination for it, regardless of what type of music they play.

With all the best wishes for 2010.

Beckmesser

I have owned 2 82z tenor's as well as 2 62 tenors also.I have a soft spot for Yamaha's and i think the Z is amazing.For me it's just so easy a player,it can do any kind of style i want.Mouthpiece,reed combo's are great on my Z.I am a high baffle freak and i have tryed many combo's on the z and most work great for me.For me the Z tenors out play the 62 tenor's with more power,bigger bottom end and a better core to the sound and yamaha for me make the best feeling sax in the world.Ergonomics are fantastic.

I think the Z tenor is one of the best out there, and while some people will take to it immediately I feel it has a few quirks that will require most players to handle the horn with some thought initially.
That's kind of true of any horn - but among the many hundreds of different models I've played over the years I found the Z to be more picky than most.
Once you've got it by the reins though, phew, wot a scorcher!

I suspect some of your problems lie with the 5C mouthpiece. I very much like the basic Yamaha pieces, but I tend to recommend either the 3C or the 4C for anything smaller than baritone ( I use a 5C as my baritone test-bench piece ). The 5C on smaller horns just doesn't seem to cut the mustard and requires more effort than is necessary.

If your interest lies in classical music then you should try a Rousseau - I use one for my alto test-bench piece, and it's one of the nicest pieces I've ever played.

Regards,

I have a Yamaha 82Z that I purchased from my teacher as a back up horn. At the time I was playing a MKVI (1974). I found in terms of sound it was very similar and alot easier to play. For me, the MKVI had a very thin sound at the top.I used the Yami as my main horn for over 2 years. I played it with a Guardala Cresent mouthpiece and it felt very comfortable to me. I have also played the following tenors: a Guardala New York, Selmer SA series 2, King Zephyr but these didn't sound as good or feel as comfortable to me.

Recently I sold the MKVI and decided to get another back up horn. I purchased an U/L Bronze 992 which has blown me away. However, I am still going to keep the Yami as its a great sounding horn.

For a while I used a hard rubber otto link 6* on the Yami, that was easy to blow with a good tone. Not too expensive either.

I have a Yamaha 82Z that I purchased from my teacher as a back up horn. At the time I was playing a MKVI (1974). I found in terms of sound it was very similar and alot easier to play. For me, the MKVI had a very thin sound at the top.I used the Yami as my main horn for over 2 years. I played it with a Guardala Cresent mouthpiece and it felt very comfortable to me. I have also played the following tenors: a Guardala New York, Selmer SA series 2, King Zephyr but these didn't sound as good or feel as comfortable to me.

Recently I sold the MKVI and decided to get another back up horn. I purchased an U/L Bronze 992 which has blown me away. However, I am still going to keep the Yami as its a great sounding horn.

For a while I used a hard rubber otto link 6* on the Yami, that was easy to blow with a good tone. Not too expensive either.

The only Yani tenor i liked was a UL Bronze 992.I no a lad who has the ul alto and tenor ul 992's ,he was 1 of the 1st to get these model's.I blew a few 991 Tenors but done nothing for me but the bronze ul 992 was very,very nice.I need a back up tenor this year,got lot's on so need 1 .

The only Yani tenor i liked was a UL Bronze 992.I no a lad who has the ul alto and tenor ul 992's ,he was 1 of the 1st to get these model's.I blew a few 991 Tenors but done nothing for me but the bronze ul 992 was very,very nice.I need a back up tenor this year,got lot's on so need 1 .
Yeah I've been very impressed with mine. I wanted an unlacquered sax and was considering the 82ZU/L, P. Mauriet 66RU/L and the Yanagisawa T992 Bronze U/L.
The Yanagisawa just played so effortlessly and the ergs and tuning was spot on. If your thinking about it Dave, my personal recommendation is to go for it. Mind you, there not cheap. I got mine from Alan Gregory Music, very helpful and quick shipping. Good luck.....

Yeah I've been very impressed with mine. I wanted an unlacquered sax and was considering the 82ZU/L, P. Mauriet 66RU/L and the Yanagisawa T992 Bronze U/L.
The Yanagisawa just played so effortlessly and the ergs and tuning was spot on. If your thinking about it Dave, my personal recommendation is to go for it. Mind you, there not cheap. I got mine from Alan Gregory Music, very helpful and quick shipping. Good luck.....

If i had the dosh i would but really happy with my Z tenor.I had 2 82Z's now.Just sold my Mauriat 66RUL tenor which was a monster also and i also love unlacquered horn's also.My BW bronze soprano is stripped.Some time soon getting my Z stripped and want black roo pads in her.Just need a back up tenor.Been wanting a 2nd for a while.Would only go the yam,yani,selmer,mauriat ,JK root for a back up.If my 6 numbers come up this week i might get the lot:w00t:

If i had the dosh i would but really happy with my Z tenor.I had 2 82Z's now.Just sold my Mauriat 66RUL tenor which was a monster also and i also love unlacquered horn's also.My BW bronze soprano is stripped.Some time soon getting my Z stripped and want black roo pads in her.Just need a back up tenor.Been wanting a 2nd for a while.Would only go the yam,yani,selmer,mauriat ,JK root for a back up.If my 6 numbers come up this week i might get the lot:w00t:
Hopefully the Mauriets gone to a good home! Good luck with the lottery, but I wouldn't hold your breath lol! Like you I also thought about getting the Z stripped but the quality of the lacquer on them is so good.

Yes the yamaha lacquer is a legend,very solid stuff indeed.I have been in touch with a guy in Manchester ,a very good sax tech,his name escapes me at the mo but i have heard good thing's about him regarding stripping lacquer.I have stripped about 5 or 6 sax's but only the body's,neck so want a expert to do my loved z ,oh yes.

Yes the yamaha lacquer is a legend,very solid stuff indeed.I have been in touch with a guy in Manchester ,a very good sax tech,his name escapes me at the mo but i have heard good thing's about him regarding stripping lacquer.I have stripped about 5 or 6 sax's but only the body's,neck so want a expert to do my loved z ,oh yes.
If you go for it Dave, could you take some pics. I might do the same as you!

Hi Beckmesser,

I play a 82Z tenor. I sold my Selmer mk VI to buy it. The Yamaha has everything needed in a modern tenor: great ergonomics, great intonation, contemporary sound (without being too bright) and not prohibitively expensive.

In my opinion you have a saxophone that will allow you to stop worrying about other models or brands. This will free up your mind and allow you to get on with the business of developing your music. And that is a very good thing!

Hi Beckmesser,

I play a 82Z tenor. I sold my Selmer mk VI to buy it. The Yamaha has everything needed in a modern tenor: great ergonomics, great intonation, contemporary sound (without being too bright) and not prohibitively expensive.

In my opinion you have a saxophone that will allow you to stop worrying about other models or brands. This will free up your mind and allow you to get on with the business of developing your music. And that is a very good thing!

I 2nd that opinion,well after owing 2 Z tenors i think there so easy to play,free blowing and as said the ergonomics are the best of any sax for my hands.

I would like to thank all of you for your excellent suggestions and your great encouragement. I never really had any doubt abour the quality of the instrument, but I was not so sure that I would be able to manage it.

I have now gone back to the 4CM (as suggested by Stephen Howard) that came with the instrument, and things are going surprisingly well. I have taken note of the suggestions for other mouthpieces. One of the problems I have is that here I live the testing of a mouthpiece in a shop is not an option. They simply don't let you. In the case of the baritone I worked out that the BL3 would be just fine, and it worked. Perhaps I will be lucky again with the tenor when I am ready to move. Anyway, things are going well now.

Kind regards

Six weeks weeks later I feel much better about the 82z. The smaller mouthpiece has made all the difference. I have spent a fair few hours (e.g. three this morning) with it, and I think I now get a sense of how free-blowing this instrument can be. It has become very responsive, and pianissimo at low C below is much easier to do. I know I will have to revisit the mouthpiece choice at some stage, but it now seems to be a less urgent matter

Hello i to play an Yam 82Z Tenor and before that a Yam 62E, i have had and played many horns both modern and vintage, but for me Yamaha are the best, they just fit into the hands of most players with ease, the Z even more so it has a smooth close action, no finger streching problems and with the right mouth piece blows a treat giving the player a fantastic full sound, and if you have both the G1 and F1 neck, well sky the limit, i play a Runyon Quantum 8 sometimes with but mainly without the spoiler insert which gives me all the power i need for the soul music i play, i do agree with all the comments from davysaxboy and stephen howard on the Rousseau mouth piece is brilliant perticularly the jazz metals and would be a great choice for both jazz and classical music it may be something for you to consider in the future, but as advice dont let anyone put you off your 82Z coz theres nothing better out there. in my opinion.

The Phil Barone Vintage Tenor I got about a month ago came with a Phil Barone Vintage HR *7 mouthpiece. Its tip opening seems to be in the range of the Yamaha C6 to C7. Well, yesterday I used it for the first time. It went well on the PB (as one would expect), but then I decided to try on the 82z. This was quite an experience. All the difficulties I had had with it seemed to have disappeared. The match, for my purposes at any rate, seems to be excellent.

I suppose the moral of the story is that if you have a slowly growing collection of tenor mouthpieces (as I do), make sure that you have enough tenor saxophones on hand so that the instruments are not wasted.

Back
Top Bottom