support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Coltrane's "moment's notice" solo on baritone sax

fabriziodalisera

I have been loving this solo since the first time I heard it on "blue train" record.
I have decided to transcribe it and play it on baritone. It was a big challenge, but I really wanted to do it as a stimulus to practice more during this quarantine.
Studying and transcribing this solo has been for me both the practice and the goal, pure yoga!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm2e6KXS2EQ

Wow, impressive, I find transcribing hard. Mainly getting over the inertia of starting so either you have a natural flair, diligence or both to achieve this. Inspiring. Thanks

Thank you EdJ! Transcribing aand learning to play this solo was a huge work. It took me two weeks of hard practice, but to me it was a great reward on many aspects :ear training, vocabulary, technique, time feel. When you want to transcribe a solo you must listen to it many many times, and so you start noticing many things that you can't notice without a deep listening. You start from the notes, then you start hearing the articulation, accents, slurs, and so on. This tune is so challenging in the chord changes and the Coltrane's solo has many fast passages in the low register that are hard to play, especially on baritone. Transcribing is to me one of the most powerful tool to work on many things, and it is essential to evolve as a player and as a deep listener

Thank you Halfers! Why should I take that the wrong way? The peavey amp is not mine, I share my "den" with other musicians. It sounds great on bari with effects guitar pedals. I will experiment in the future...

Thank you EdJ I am happy that you like "Trisonic". Did you listen to it via YouTube or on Spotify? I'm curious... I've been using the same set up for four years: 1945 silver RTH Conn 12m, vintage Otto Link tone edge '115, Vandoren blue box 3 reeds