support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Cleaning a sticky Sax - what's best?

Two Voices

Locality
United Kingdom
I seem to be suffering more condensation leaking from the B and C keys on my Tenor than my Alto. I think saliva has crept down as the keys have started to get a little sticky.

So I wondered what would be the best thing to clean it with.

Thanks in advance!

Lay off the beer and chocolates before playing? I wouldn't go using any cleaning compounds if that's what you are asking - before putting it away and giving the goo a chance to solidify, just give the sax a good go with a pull-through and wipe the affected keys with powder paper (or your key-wipe of choice)

Thanks Bill! I wasn't thinking of cleaning compounds more like a damp cloth or the like? Would that hurt? I always use a pull through and insert a pad saver. Then wipe the sax down with a polishing cloth but the keys seem to be a bit tacky still. Didn't notice it with the Yamaha but I'm finding it on the Yani. Layoff the beer :shocked:

When I have marks, grease .... that's hard to get rid of I take a few drops of lemon oil on the polishing cloth as well. Carefull with the pads. Lemon oil (buy it in guitar shops) is harmless to you. Smells good to.

Thomas

When I have marks, grease .... that's hard to get rid of I take a few drops of lemon oil on the polishing cloth as well. Carefull with the pads. Lemon oil (buy it in guitar shops) is harmless to you. Smells good to.

Thomas

Thanks Thomas! I'll pick some up when I have my next lesson and give it a whirl :D

Hy Paul,

A fiver drawn accross the tone hole, with light pressure from the closed key, will clean it for that playing session.

John.

Thanks John! Good tip. Its not a sticky pad that I've got this time, its the actual keys which are a little tacky to touch!

Derr, in too much of a hurry, didn't read it properly. What a DUMBO!!!

John.

Be careful with lemon oil - it might not be what you think it is.
Unlike most natural oils, such as Walnut, Groundnut, Olive etc...where what you see on the label is what you get, Lemon Oil can be very variable, and some of it may contain 'drying oils'. Drying oils are like varnishes...they dry to a stiff coat. Put that on your horn and you could end up being far worse off than had you not bothered in the first place.

Your best bet for wiping over key surfaces is to breathe on them and wipe off the condensation with a soft cloth. If there's any sticky residue remaining, a little squirt of cigarette lighter fluid on a soft cloth will see it off.

Regards,

Stephen is right! Make sure you get the right lemon oil, if you want to clean your sax with this. The lemon oil I use is the "real thing", pure lemon oil. I use my oil for cooking as well! I buy the lemon oil in a health food store.

Thomas

Thanks for all the replies! In the end I used a damp cloth and then dried it with a polishing cloth and it worked a treat!

Hi John,
I always use a £20.
Rob.

I know about the Dollar being pulled through a closed pad. But ... whats the difference between a fiver and a twenty? Thicker? More abrasive?

I'm only asking out of curiosity.

Nah, he's just showing off, that's a months pocket money for me!

jonboy.

Back
Top Bottom