support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Clark Fobes Debut Alto mouthpiece pass around!

TomMapfumo

Hi Folks!

Here is a chance to have a trial of one of the highest rated Beginner alto sax mouthpieces in the US. Clark Fobes hand finishes and play tests all his Debut mouthpieces (8,000 pa) before sending them out.

His website is: http://www.clarkwfobes.com/ and he is a noted clarinet player.
If anyone would like to join the pass around list please PM me when you have a moment. I should have the mouthpiece to send out in a week or so and would hope to pass it out soon afterwards. I will simply need folks to cover the postage when passing it on to the next person on the list, whose address I will PM out beforehand..

I am flexible about timings so feel free to trial it for a shorter or longer period as desired. They are available in the UK only at Howarth of London at £36.00. The tip size is 0.065" (between a Yamaha 4C and a Selmer S80 C*.

If anyone who tests it could provide a brief review that would be appreciated.

Regards
Tom:thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Clark Fobes hand finishes and play tests all his Debut mouthpieces (8,000 pa) before sending them out.

Interesting statistic. Say 200 working days per year, that would be 40 mouthpieces per day, throughout the year and so about 10 minutes per mouthpiece for all hand finishing, play testing etc without doing any other work at all.

Doesn't sound right to me - have I misunderstood or made a mistake ?

Rhys

Hi Rhys!

That detail was found in the enclosed article: http://clarkwfobes.wordpress.com/ if you can find it.

It IS a good question - I'm only the messenger.

Kind regards
Tom

Here is the quote: "My experience with the injection molded acrylic mouthpieces from Babbitt has been exceptional. The tolerances and consistency of these mouthpieces is remarkable. I do finish every single mouthpiece by hand (about 8,000 last year!), but I have a very consistent starting point which makes large production runs much simpler. Injection molding is such an accurate method that molds can be made to exact dimensions and the tolerances of the molded product are extremely fine. Also, injection molds can be very highly polished leaving a very fine finish on the mouthpiece that needs very little buffing. Babbitt puts a facing on my Debut clarinet and alto sax mouthpieces from cams that I have had custom made. No other maker is allowed to use these facing cams. The nature of acrylic is that it resists the cutting wheel extremely well and when i receive a run of 500 mouthpieces from Babbitt they are all exactly alike. The slight variation from mouthpiece to mouthpiece is only seen in the tip rail width, which i adjust as part of my final finishing. I love the sound of these mouthpieces and I doubt that anyone would guess that it was acrylic in a blind test."

Regards
Tom

I wish that is all i worked in a year :w00t: i'd have more time to practice, my working year is nearer the 270 :(

The old work/life balance issue.

I'm only an engineer and 200 is close enough for the calculation - maybe 14 minutes per mouthpiece, but still no time for anything else.

about 8,000 last year!

I suppose that could mean he has reached a lifetime total of 8,000 (cumulative total) rather than 8,000 per annum.

Rhys