support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Jazz Chris Potter....

Mike

Chris Potter has been my favorite saxophone player for years now.
In my opinion the guy is untouchable....He never wastes a single note, it all hits home with
uncanny precision and depth! The depth of his content at any velocity is astounding!

I literally burst out laughing at just how insane this guy can play!

There's so much data on this guy on YouTube, I wouldn't know where to begin
if someone never heard him play and was curious....Well, this is a good start!
Enjoy the band!

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, a great player. I discovered him via Steely Dan, for who he has done a lot of recording and live work. While some of his solos with them are just sublime, I find all his stuff is so accessible and listenable without being bland or predictable. He has a new CD out so maybe he'll be over this side of the pond to promote it sometime soon.

Yeah, this guy is something else. If we want to know where jazz is going,
in an evolutionary reference, this individual, Chris Potter is exemplifying
just that. As I said, for my ear, no one on the scene of improvisation
comes close. His imagination is breathtaking!

I agree with Kev.......who wouldn't think to want to throw their saxophone away? I'm curious how many may have actually quit playing because of listening to Chris Potter? It's understandable!
Not many can approach this level.

I understand that many either quit playing saxophone
altogether, back in the day of Charlie Parker, or quickly opted to play tenor instead of alto
to avoid the alto comparision.

What we're hearing today, with Chris Potter, is an emergence of
product that has escaped the grasp of the typical improvisional thought process.

He just makes me feel good whenever I listen to him! Pure authenticity!

Eli Bennett...now that's a monumental task! Incredible ear and memorizational skills!

I agree with Kev.......who wouldn't think to want to throw their saxophone away?
Me. You don't have to be the best in the world to get any pleasure or satisfaction out of something. Otherwise we'd almost all be very unhappy. Peoply like Chris Potter are there to be learned from, not to compete with.

Me. You don't have to be the best in the world to get any pleasure or satisfaction out of something. Otherwise we'd almost all be very unhappy. Peoply like Chris Potter are there to be learned from, not to compete with.

Throwing the sax away is used as a metaphor to gauge the distance in ability. It's beautiful form of respect!

Geez!

Chris Potter is a favourite of mine too,had the chance to see him play down London just over a year ago,fantastic.

Throwing the sax away is used as a metaphor to gauge the distance in ability. It's beautiful form of respect!

Geez!

That was my meaning, yes

What's the world coming to? - Mike agrees with me AND interprets me correctly in one thread...

:confused:

That was my meaning, yes

What's the world coming to? - Mike agrees with me AND interprets me correctly in one thread...

:confused:

It's out of percentages Kev. Probability will have influence through time. It was destined to happen! lol....

It was your statement Kev.....Then why was I blessed with the focus, if ya catch my drift? Interpretation being the operative.

I'm actually a very lovely person.....Just ask my cat!

Not my cup of tea at all. I can see why you like him but, not for me.

His "All the things you are" is all over youtube but I think old Aubra beats him hands down for class and style

http://youtu.be/rG3yEUvzu_I

Maybe it's an age thing

Not my cup of tea at all. I can see why you like him but, not for me.

His "All the things you are" is all over youtube but I think old Aubra beats him hands down for class and style

http://youtu.be/rG3yEUvzu_I

Maybe it's an age thing

Well, I'm 57 so I'm not sure what age has to do with anything.

I happen to enjoy listening to Aubra Graves. Over time I've listened to quite
a few of his recordings. He's a wonderful sax player!
The last thing I'd ever do is say 'my guy is better than your guy' type of thing.

We enjoy who we enjoy. I'm not sure why you would want to create a suggested parallel here.

Aubra Graves clearly deserves his own thread! He certainly doesn't deserve being put
in a cutting heads contest...

Saw Chris playing with Dave Holland several years ago and he was outstanding.
He always comes across as a very humble man in interview too.
I like him and his work.

Geez!
Fine. There's no need to be rude. I'll try and remember not to reply to your posts in future.

Back
Top Bottom