PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Chinese reeds for tenor, light blue box

apinter

Chinese reeds have terrible reputation for quality but I am curious so I ordered some on aliexpress for my tenor.
They are in the light blue box (pic attached) and I ordered both 2 and 2 1/2 strength.
I usually play Rico orange box 2 1/2 or 3 on my Berg Larsen 105. Also some Vandorens blue box (half number lower).

Well, I am very positively surprised by the quality of these reeds. Not only they are not bad at all but they give me a kind of woody/reedy full bodied sound that is right in the direction of my hoped sound. I began to play them only when I exercise in the open, not counting on such a great sound but actually I must say they grew in me I now find them a favorite and am beginning to play them more and more also in my regular indoor study. I also recorded myself and I like very much what I hear. At 0.35 euro each they might worth a try by everybody, in my opinion. I don't want to say they are superior to Rico or Vandoren, but they have a personality and a very good one to me.

I find them strong more or less like Vandoren blue (to find something similar to Rico 3 I play 2.5 of these).

And I repeat, I don't like them only because cheap (actually I'd have no use for a cheap reed I don't like). I like them very much and price, if any, let me put them down at first (beside Chinese bad name for reeds). I can't speak for any Chinese reed but these ones are certainly reeds I like and will reorder (in fact I did that already and begin to have a good inventory of them).

This is a link (many Chinese are available but I just played these):

Hope this may help you, if in constant quest for something else that is worth to try for your sax.

rBVaSVugrBCAHv_zAARSMHJ8w6w925.jpg

Last edited:
Yerp. I got a pack of sop ones that I am well impressed with .They are good reeds .They seem to be improving over time and that definitely includes their horns too.
I think at less than 4 quid shipped for 10 tenor 2.5s it's worth a shot. I will feedback when I get them.

It is good to know the quality of some Chinese reeds is improving. Several years ago when I tried "Flying Goose" reeds they were cut without a heart in the center and made it sound like you were playing a kazoo. :w00t:

It is good to know the quality of some Chinese reeds is improving. Several years ago when I tried "Flying Goose" reeds they were cut without a heart in the center and made it sound like you were playing a kazoo. :w00t:
Good God these flying geese were bad. I also tried the "s lade" type and they were really undersized with no guts at all.
I remain to be convinced re constancy but that's the whole point I have never had consistency from the selects or royales or orange box and never took to vandoren. So it's worth a try and if they prove good I will up the Ante.
I have a theory that they pretty well have to ship a playable Reed with every new horn and for this reason these are the reeds that you are most likely to tryout successfully.

I'm curious to hear how these work out for those trying them. I noted that it says BAMBOO reeds. That's a big clue to the reported different sound. There are hundreds of species of bamboo and for all "we westerners" know some of them may be much better than traditional "cane". Both are technically grasses with the Arundo donax (giant cane) being the most commonly used in Europe and the Americas.

Consistency tends to be one of the major issues with traditional cane reeds with the best producers going through specific aging processes to try to ensure consistency (but seldom 100% successful). I'd given up long ago on cane reeds except for sopranino (not yet made by fibracell).

It's a good idea to keep an open mind and look for anything that can improve our lot. Consistency, tone/timbre, and longevity are the key issues. If these fit all of the above, then the next thing is to ensure that the company that makes them always uses the same stocks of bamboo (remember there are hundreds of species), and is consistent in their manufacturing. The Chinese (from my limited dealings) understand that you can build a successful business through supplying a product that meets the consumer's expectations. Giving appropriate feedback that lets them know they must not vary that product is vital or we could wind up with another "flying goose".

Reed, cane, bamboo? Now I've got to be a botanist too? :confused:

I noticed in the pics a rather snazzy looking reed holder. Is this included in the pack?
Every reed comes in transparent plastic reed holder.
I don’ love it particularly, it’s too brittle. But it keeps reeds safe until you use them first time and for the rest I have plenty of reusable reed holders

These reeds are available on Amazon in the US. I noticed that on the Ali Baba site they were in an Ammoon store, and searching for Ammoon reeds found them on Amazon. They are about $9.00 a box with free shipping.

Ok . I got box this am and have had basically 20 mins on two of them on 2 setups.
First off they are exactly same size as JSellect. No scrimp on material. They are not free blowing as of 20 mins in but are responding over the register and into altissimo. I don't think I could use them out of the box to play my current set meaning lots of fast tongue on jazz and Latin but they appear fine for ballads though not easy subtone yet
My truetone will not subtone yet with new Reed but I really suspect a new leak or octave key issue which hinders the test.
My 10 m yam6c combo likes this Reed and giving me a really nice Woody / vintage tone. I won't know how responsive the combo is until I have a chance to run through some of my set.
At this money they are a no brainer but until I actually do a 2 hour set on them I won't be silly about ordering more.
Oh pretty fast delivery too.

A quick update.
Initially I was concerned about the lack of response of these reeds and was considering perhaps going down a strength to the 2`s . It would appear that they need a longer break in period than Jazz Selects of the same strength, ie the cane may be less absorbent.
Both my horns are now subtoning and going to altissimo G.I fixed a leak of truetone, PP is a piece of cake, FF not so easy but controllable.
For some players this might be the clincher but really thats a matter of taste. There is no way I could play a gig or session with a new reed on either of my 2 horns out if the box, but I don`t usually anyway nowadays anyway. So. For that reason, I have to say that these reeds are great and that I will be buying more while they are available.
thanks
@apinter
for tip

I ordered some as well. Fast delivery and similar thoughts. They are a bit stiff and the high harmonics are not as present. Subtone and a breathy core tone is OK. I've accelerated the break in and found that they are OK. How long they will last is unknown. They seem very consistent. If bamboo that would be the reason for good consistency as regular cane is very inconsistent. Not 100 % sure yet about the lack of higher harmonics, but they may be OK for some styles of playing.

I ordered some as well. Fast delivery and similar thoughts. They are a bit stiff and the high harmonics are not as present. Subtone and a breathy core tone is OK. I've accelerated the break in and found that they are OK. How long they will last is unknown. They seem very consistent. If bamboo that would be the reason for good consistency as regular cane is very inconsistent. Not 100 % sure yet about the lack of higher harmonics, but they may be OK for some styles of playing.
They are getting better over time for me Wade .The issue of harmonics also seems to be improving but we will see eh? Oh the FF, PP is the other way round . I hate using phone to do this, just too many mistakes.