support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Charity busking

U CAN CALL ME AL

Café Supporter
With Children in Need on the horizon I thought I would busk with my sax to backing tracks on a small PA in my local town centre at Caldicot. Not wishing to cause nuisance or offence, I carefully researched the possibility. It transpires that I need a street collection licence should be no problem and its free. However the rub is that the music must be un-amplified, even though I would be using copyright free music it will cost £25 for an "event" licence, apparently due to recent changes in the law relating to live street music. As a lone sax often sounds forlorn I have therefore decided regrettably not to busk, the loser being Pudsey. This may only be applicable to my local area but you are advised to check it out as you may be moved on by the local constabulary.

With Children in Need on the horizon I thought I would busk with my sax to backing tracks on a small PA in my local town centre at Caldicot. Not wishing to cause nuisance or offence, I carefully researched the possibility. It transpires that I need a street collection licence should be no problem and its free. However the rub is that the music must be un-amplified, even though I would be using copyright free music it will cost £25 for an "event" licence, apparently due to recent changes in the law relating to live street music. As a lone sax often sounds forlorn I have therefore decided regrettably not to busk, the loser being Pudsey. This may only be applicable to my local area but you are advised to check it out as you may be moved on by the local constabulary.

Just go out there and jam some improvised up beat funky stuff :thumb:

Forlorn?? Not something that has been said to me in 30 years of street entertaining with a solo sax.

Busking isn't as easy as it seems. .

Foul weather and sub zero temperatures to contend with at this time of year. Freezing condensed breath can be very wearing on pads not to mention the left hand. A particularly harsh winter can bring on a repad in a few weeks.

The Police don't only move you on, sometimes you're nicked and locked up for the afternoon.

Lots of competition from other street activities running up to Xmas. Other buskers, street traders, cavassers, carole singers, charity collectors, Big issue sellers, organised events.

Then there's , drunks, kids, football fans, nymphomaniacs (not really), beggars, tone deaf grumpies and music haters. The innevitable request for baker street ("turn right at the lights sir, it's third on your left"). The irrate shop owner, "Can you play somewhere else?" " Not heard that one, can you humm it?"

Then a security van parks in front of you for half an hour with the engine running to collect from the bank. (cough)

Then it rains, in spite of a dry forecast, before you've made your deisel and carpark charge and everyone goes home early.

It ain't a bed of roses
smiley-whacky110.gif

Forlorn?? Not something that has been said to me in 30 years of street entertaining with a solo sax.

Busking isn't as easy as it seems. .

Foul weather and sub zero temperatures to contend with at this time of year. Freezing condensed breath can be very wearing on pads not to mention the left hand. A particularly harsh winter can bring on a repad in a few weeks.

The Police don't only move you on, sometimes you're nicked and locked up for the afternoon.

Lots of competition from other street activities running up to Xmas. Other buskers, street traders, cavassers, carole singers, charity collectors, Big issue sellers, organised events.

Then there's , drunks, kids, football fans, nymphomaniacs (not really), beggars, tone deaf grumpies and music haters. The innevitable request for baker street ("turn right at the lights sir, it's third on your left"). The irrate shop owner, "Can you play somewhere else?" " Not heard that one, can you humm it?"

Then a security van parks in front of you for half an hour with the engine running to collect from the bank. (cough)

Then it rains, in spite of a dry forecast, before you've made your deisel and carpark charge and everyone goes home early.

It ain't a bed of roses
smiley-whacky110.gif

So can you think of anything against it?

Hey - all the more reason to get out and do it - rules were made to be broken, up the revolution and lets stick one over the pen pushers & hi visibilty jacket wearing jobsworths who all seem to work for the local council!......

I'm with the majority, just go and do it. I've never been questioned by the police. In fact two CPSO's said how nice it was! You won't get locked up, no one has ever tried to pick my earnings out of my box, I've never really had any chav issues (except for the stink bomb episode! :)))) and as for

"Lots of competition from other street activities running up to Xmas. Other buskers, street traders, cavassers, carole singers, charity collectors, Big issue sellers, organised events.

Then there's , drunks, kids, football fans, nymphomaniacs (not really), beggars, tone deaf grumpies and music haters. The inevitable request for baker street ("turn right at the lights sir, it's third on your left"). The irate shop owner, "Can you play somewhere else?" " Not heard that one, can you humm it?"

Then a security van parks in front of you for half an hour with the engine running to collect from the bank. (cough)"

No, as far as I'm concerned you should just go ahead, take your backing tracks, and have a great time earning money for a great cause!

Errr... I was joking. Of course just do it.

I take a small flask these cold days and wrap up warm.

I wouldn't bother with the backing tracks. More equipment to carry and put at risk of the weather/public.

It really concetrates the mind playing naked. You find gaps for decoration and fill ins where you didn't think it was possible. Plus you can go round as many times as you like. If you find another route through a tune you can go that way again so you remember the way.

The worst thing that can happen is you don't make any money.

The best is, you will enjoy it, make a fortune, expand your life experience, get paid for practicing, learn about outdoor acoustics, make some contacts.

Get some Christmasy tunes practiced.
smiley-music028.gif

Get there early though. Early bird gets the best pitch and best money.
icon_thumright.gif

I have therefore decided regrettably not to busk, the loser being Pudsey.

Great ain't it. Christmas is coming, charitiable donations requested at every opportunity. Try and do something to help, and Elf n Safety and Pay Up Now Or Else kicks in to scupper your good intentions.

Yup, I love our Red Tape Jobs Worth Whats In It For Me/Government Society NOT

Gripe over. Kettle on.

Admirable thought on your part Al. sorry it was thwarted by the red tape involved, but I may have a suggestion which is open to all members of the busking fraternity to use.

Busk disguised as a `Traffic Warden` and employ a street urchin as a spotter. He/She could whistle you a warning (altissimo) when the Peelers or like approach, or in the case of Peelers assistants in a lower register. Obviously you would have to carry a very large pouch in which to secret your sax away in, and this might arouse suspicion among your colleagues. However explain it away glibly as follows ` Never got on wif those bloody digitalis kameras so I carries a tripod an old box Eastmen to take me photos wif. ` This will suffice. regds not meaning to be flippant. N

For what it's worth, another vote for going ahead and doing it anyway.

I wish I had the talent to be able to do similarly, and the sheer nerve to get up and play in front of people.

Not to be beaten, after a chat with the local village postmistress and pub manager I went to the local square with my small pa and spent two and a half hours playing. Thanks to the generosity of the locals of Magor raised £122.22p for Pudsey. Absolutely hassle free really enjoyed it. Will do it again, not bad for a first attempt.

A couple of years ago a few sad cased from this forum decided to busk for charity in Stratford on Avon, an utterly chringeworthy performance it was to, particularly from myself (hiding behind sunnies) and due to my partial deafness i was unable to hear the backing track or indeed the other musos, so decided it was a good idea to watch Andy's fingers and try to play what he was playing just by watching (his fingers). Turned out all three of us played three different songs....at the same time! totally unique! the Chinese tourists thought we were cool though (i thought we were, or at least i was **** though) but we made some good dough for Pete's charity helping disabled children to play music (hopefully not as badly as we did)

A couple of years ago a few sad cased from this forum decided to busk for charity in Stratford on Avon, an utterly chringeworthy performance it was to, particularly from myself (hiding behind sunnies) and due to my partial deafness i was unable to hear the backing track or indeed the other musos, so decided it was a good idea to watch Andy's fingers and try to play what he was playing just by watching (his fingers). Turned out all three of us played three different songs....at the same time! totally unique! the Chinese tourists thought we were cool though (i thought we were, or at least i was **** though) but we made some good dough for Pete's charity helping disabled children to play music (hopefully not as badly as we did)
God! just checked it out again......makes me want to die!!

Back
Top Bottom