support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Capital or Capitol, Sir Paul?

navarro

Locality
LONDON
Hail Forum Members, did anyone watch Sir Paul McCartney`s venture into the American Song Book beamed out by the commercial channel last night. I am not a singer in fact quite tone deaf so far be it for me to judge his performance.

Ably backed by a first class band of jazz and pop luminaries and recorded within the legendary Capitol Studios L.A. technically it could hardly fail. plus the fact it it was a very astute plug for his recently released `Kisses on the Bottom.`(The long gone Mary Whitehouse would have had a field day with this title.)

My first observation however concerns the backing band, who looked quite bored with the whole thing and patronized Sir Paul with a few well scripted remarks such as "He is a musicians musician" etc. Diane Krall looked as if her G string was not tuned in. (This is not a reference to her undergarments.) Eric Clapton was morose being out of his comfort zone acoustically. But never the less a great line-up.

Sir Macca`s own `My Valentine` raised no hackles on the back of my neck but sounded remarkably like a transposed ` Brother can you spare a Dime.` A 20s depression song (Rudy Vallee version.)

Anyone else see it? Regds. I am totally unbiased and rather like the hair dye Sir Paul uses. N

Thankfully, no.

But then I'm apparently one of the 5 people on the planet who thinks even the Beatles were rubbish and as for anything they've done since, ...

It's on the ITV iplayer, having a look now.

Why black and white?

A great band spoiled by a bit of Dad singing. Bass player and composer convinced he's got a voice.

I've liked a fair bit of his stuff and he seems like an ok bloke but....Horses for courses....if it was the Grand National he'd have been shot.

They should have got Tony Bennett imo

Last edited by a moderator:
It's on the ITV iplayer, having a look now.

Why black and white?

A great band spoiled by a bit of Dad singing. Bass player and composer convinced he's got a voice.

I've liked a fair bit of his stuff and he seems like an ok bloke but....Horses for courses....if it was the Grand National he'd have been shot.

They should have got Tony Bennett imo
Well said Bear, You have voiced my opinions beautifully but I of the white feather was afraid to say so. Thus avoiding the midnight knock on the door (Tradesman's entrance.) by a hooded mob of Maccarites. Regds do trams still run down Penny Lane. N.

It was evident from the Olympics that his voice is going. Success is knowing when to retire.

Well said Bear, You have voiced my opinions beautifully but I of the white feather was afraid to say so. Thus avoiding the midnight knock on the door (Tradesman's entrance.) by a hooded mob of Maccarites. Regds do trams still run down Penny Lane. N.

Yes, and Penny's fed up with it.
McCartney reached the height of his musical achievment with the Frog Song.

Thankfully, no.

But then I'm apparently one of the 5 people on the planet who thinks even the Beatles were rubbish and as for anything they've done since, ...

No - there are at least six of us! I've never understood the whole Beatles thing and I didn't when it was happening in the 60s. And as for the beatification of Lennon - words fail me!

Generally speaking, the pop singers of the 60s can't do the American Songbook thing - listen (briefly!) to Rod Stewart's attempt. Ferry may be the exception.

On the plus side, it does introduce these songs to a younger audience. My youngest son (at about 16) and his mates discovered Michael Buble. He (my son) came home from school very excited and then I could point him to all the Sinatra, Torme, Haymes, Bennett and Fitzgerald CDs on the shelves. He's never looked back.

7 and i'm from Liverpool (never liked the Beatles) agree with TV his voice has gone

Sometimes singers get better when their voice goes. I never cared much for Leonard Cohen when he was young but I bought his live album last year. Not so precise and lacking in power but full of warmth and soul and emotion. Tony Bennet is the same for me. Couldn't see it when he was younger but I recently bought his albums duets and duets II.

I've heard a few of Rod Stewarts american song book offerings and was amazed how well he can sing given his voice. I didn't buy the album. I think I had Maggie may as a 7" 45rpm back in the day.

I also have never owned a Beatles album but have a couple of Wings albums. Penny Lane and When I'm 64 are in the busking repertoire. He has penned some good tunes. I loved the frog song and "it's just another day" is a great track for a one note melody.

Strange how someone can make such a sucessful career as a composer and performer and yet be so limited in other musical areas.

I don't think he'll be opening the door on the american song book to any youngsters. I think anyone under 30 considers him a historical figure.

It must be great to be rich and famous enough to put a band like that together and have the conceit and vanity to make it into a telly show.

I'll confess to having liked the Beatles at the time but I was 12 when they split up.

And comparing their few recorded live performances to the records, I can't help wondering...

I cannot express my position about the Beatles, because I could be deported back to my country of origin, where I am facing media induced lobotomy.

I will just quote a story I heard about a recording session Sir P. had with some famous British jazzers:

They improvised on the track,
Sir P. said: "that is exactly what I want! do it again"
ST: "we cannot do it again: it was improvisation: jazz!"
Sir P : "I despise jazz!"
ST: "not as much as jazz despises you...."

I think the Beatles made some pleasant tunes, together with a lot of trite nonsense, but that's about it. I really cannot abide McCartney. He makes my flesh crawl. I am now exiled to Canada, for my sins, but at least I am further away from that monster.

Macca will improve when his voice breaks but as a left handed bass guitar player, shouldn't he be in special needs?

I cannot express my position about the Beatles, because I could be deported back to my country of origin, where I am facing media induced lobotomy.

I will just quote a story I heard about a recording session Sir P. had with some famous British jazzers:

They improvised on the track,
Sir P. said: "that is exactly what I want! do it again"
ST: "we cannot do it again: it was improvisation: jazz!"
Sir P : "I despise jazz!"
ST: "not as much as jazz despises you...."
Great one that Al. I will repeat it at my next get together with my shabby but genteel saxophone playing friends. Regds N. :D

Back
Top Bottom