support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Camouflaged Reeds

Hi.
For the last few months I've been using Leger sythetic reeds for my tenor and alto (handy, as I double up a lot). They are great reeds, but the only problem is that they're made from almost-clear translucent plastic and a few weeks ago I left a reed behind after a pub gig (I'd put it down when packing the sax away and hadn't spotted it on the table). At £20 a shot, an expensive mistake. So now I have painted to the back ends of my Legere reeds orange to make them easier to spot in a dark gig. Seems to work.
Similarly, I've lost a few black plastic mouthpiece covers over the last year or so. They have a nasty habit of rolling around and can easily be either crushed by big-footed guitarists or just lost in dark venues. My solution has been to apply a piece of white electrical tape to the mouthpiece covers. That way, when they make a bid for freedom in a dark venue they're fairly easily spotted.

Tried out plasticovers, but, sound issues aside, black reeds are really not a very good idea. Ever tried fitting them to a mouthpiece at a gig? Not easy.

I'm really good at losing things this way, so I've learnt to always put things in the same place. Reeds go straight in the reedholder, which goes straight in the sax bag. Caps go in my pocket, or in the sax bag, but nowhere else...

What a good idea, I use Legere, pick up, put on mouthpiece, play, no fiddling about and if you take care last for ages, but as you say put it down and it becomes invisible. Five star customer service back up as well.

Never take my reed off the mouthpice 'til it's knackered then throw it away. Usually leave MP on neck until placing away in case at the end of a gig or jam, so doesn't seem to be a problem for me.

With synthetics they last so long that MP higiene could be a problem so I run cold water through to remove any crud and spray through with a brass MP disinfectant after use at home.

Back
Top Bottom