support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Buffet "Barn Find" - here we go again...

SDA dismantled and all the key work cleaned over three evenings (6-8 hours work). I don't mind the nickel key wear down to brass here and there, shows someone has played and played it.
From the amount of grime I'd guess it's never been apart before. The unchewed screw heads are a clue too.

Now with Paul Carrington for total overhaul, keeping the original screw in resos, apart from one missing one which he'll fabricate to match.

More when it's back in a few weeks... :)

Collected the SDA last week from Paul. Haven't had a chance to blow it until this morning...

...I thought these were supposed to be subdued horns! Wow, this can get loud but at the same time I can play it really softly. Possibly the softest of any horn I've owned. A lot of that may well be to do with it being "as new" having been totally overhauled. But I don't recall the 70's SDA I had before being that versatile and that had been tweaked by Paul as well.

So, the 7M can go. The SDA eclipses it for me. The Yamaha Vito may be a contender from what I recall before I stripped it down (needs a few pads), and it will be interesting to see how the "old" Jericho compares. I have a soft spot for the J6 as it's so easy to play.

By the way... the Berg MP which came with the SDA is on eBay right now - not one for me -so if you buy it from this mention, post here and I'll donate 5% to the forum fund.

Meanwhile, I'll look forward to playing the SDA some more. House renovations still taking precedence... :oops:

Update...

I knew from my previous 1989 SDA it would fit a Yamaha backpack case, so picked one up and that's where it is currently. When I had the previous SDA I'd tried to find a Buffet case, contacting Buffet for one of their 100/400 modern backpack cases, to no avail.
I seem to recall that SDA fitted OK in the 100 or 400 case I had at the time, although not sure, so fingers crossed as I spotted one in the small ads and for £30 it's on its way...

279504294_7336361973105484_2234904012947301166_n.jpg

The crusty MP which came with the SDA was identified by Theo Wanne who asked permission to add its photo to his Berg page: Berg Larsen Mouthpieces - Theo Wanne

Screenshot 2022-05-17 at 18.46.51.png

The horn cost £200, less the £175 I sold the Berg for, so the case cost more than the horn! o_O

That's plus Paul Carrington's full overhaul, including missing screw-in domed reso, at £260.

Keeping it.

Back
Top Bottom