BOTM September 2018 - That's All

I found 5 minutes to give this one a shot.
Thats All 2018.mp3 - Box
Nick.
I really enjoyed listening to that. The backing track was superb as was your playing. I especially liked how you took liberties with the rhythms of the melody without losing the time. Very impressive. The way the entire range of the baritone was utilized really added to the rendition as well. Hope to hear lots more from you in the future. Thanks for participating.

One can never have too much bari:
(You may disagree)

Nice work. Very accurate playing of the melody. I almost felt as if I was listening to a classical piece in your improvisation it was so thoughtfully constructed and so melodic. You get a very nice, well controlled sound, but occasionally a bit of "raspy" quality comes through. You may want to try experimenting with taking just a bit less of the mouthpiece in the mouth to see if that helps on this style of tune.

HI to all,

at the half of the month it's time to do a tenore take:

View: https://youtu.be/vOn4qQ5mLEk

T Rampone & Cazzani R1 Jazz AUG - Jody Jazz DV Chicago 7* - Hartmann Fiberreed Carbon M

Ciao
I think between the two versions, your take on tenor as a ballad is my favorite. It really showed how expressive you can play. I am looking forward to hearing you other tunes in the future. Thanks for participating twice!

An Alto sax recording YAS MkI Jody Jazz DV MP Forestone M reed. Audacity Software (Was feeling lazy) single take medium room reverb added post record.

I think it takes more skill to play a ballad on alto than any other sax, at least I find it the most challenging. You really get a nice sound in the upper register which takes a lot of control. The intonation was spot on. This tune in this key throws some challenges such as high A's and C#'s which you tamed quite well. Thanks for having the courage to do an alto version. I enjoyed hearing your take.

I have been "blathering on" about everyone else's playing so here is a chance to get even. I've been playing a lot of gigs on bari recently and so I thought I would record the tune on that. I am not happy with the water on the reed sound, but I haven't yet learned how to manage that playing a synthetic.

I have been "blathering on" about everyone else's playing so here is a chance to get even. I've been playing a lot of gigs on bari recently and so I thought I would record the tune on that. I am not happy with the water on the reed sound, but I haven't yet learned how to manage that playing a synthetic.

Very nice.
Had a nice Mulliganesque feel/tone (which is always a good thing).
Your solo followed the melody beautifully and was very inkeeping.
What synthetics are you using?
I often use fibracell or Legere Classics on baritone.
I'm not sure what horn you play, but it sounds like a Conn to me,

Very nice.
Had a nice Mulliganesque feel/tone (which is always a good thing).
Your solo followed the melody beautifully and was very inkeeping.
What synthetics are you using?
I often use fibracell or Legere Classics on baritone.
I'm not sure what horn you play, but it sounds like a Conn to me,

Thanks for the compliment. I was playing on a YBS-52 and using a Rousseau Jazz mouthpiece with a Legere 2 3/4 reed. The bari piece I use in the band I play in is a Jody Jazz Jet, but I felt it would be a bit too "hot" for a cool ballad such as this one.

I've just found this ballad being played by the quintessential Aubra Graves.

Thanks for the compliment. I was playing on a YBS-52 and using a Rousseau Jazz mouthpiece with a Legere 2 3/4 reed. The bari piece I use in the band I play in is a Jody Jazz Jet, but I felt it would be a bit too "hot" for a cool ballad such as this one.
I really enjoyed your recording. You have a nice, laid back feel and know your way around a ballad. Nice bari tone too. I play a Jody Jazz Jet on alto and I really like it. It gives me just a bit of buzz, which I like in my tone.

That was absolutely lovely. Beautiful tone and ideas too. Very sensitively played and paced as well.

The only thing I could criticise is the punctuation in the wording on the Soundcloud screen , but that would be pedantic so I won't do it.

Rhys

That Jimmy Forrest version is sweet!
Agree. I am going to seek out more of his recordings. He doesn't play a lot of notes---just the "right ones". @Colin the Bear seems to like players who use a fast vibrato. I wonder why? ;););)

Agree. I am going to seek out more of his recordings. He doesn't play a lot of notes---just the "right ones". @Colin the Bear seems to like players who use a fast vibrato. I wonder why? ;););)

I hadn't even noticed his vibrato. It just sounds so right to my ear. However, now you mention it ;)

Agree. I am going to seek out more of his recordings. He doesn't play a lot of notes---just the "right ones".

Jimmy Forrest is for long one of my all time favourites, it's for sure worth checking him out further (and he can play fast with a lot of notes too!).

I will post the the sax take with backing track later this month.

Have been very busy and forgot about my second take with backing and wanted to post it some days ago, but couldn't find this thread anymore. Happily Pete could get it back online after I asked him about that.

Here is my take with the backing (which didn't flow really well for me):

- 'That's All' (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2) - with backing:
That's All (Florida no USA 10* - Rico Royal 2) by mrpeebee

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom