support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

BOTM November 2020: It Never Entered My Mind

I'm not following?

The lovely Miles recording uses his characteristic Harmon muted sound. Is something like that available to you on your Yamaha YDS-150 ?

Or maybe a Flugelhorn sound so you could play in the style of Till Bronner as on the video with Jeff Goldblum.

Rhys

The lovely Miles recording uses his characteristic Harmon muted sound. Is something like that available to you on your Yamaha YDS-150 ?
Ah, I didn't know the name of the mute. With my old Roland U110 and even the GR-1, there were muted trumpet sounds. They're realtively easy to do electronically, but alas, no such luck on the BSTIC (Black Stick That Isn't a Clarinet).

I played this on the GR-1 (Roland guitar synth). The mute comes on at the end:

View: https://soundcloud.com/randulo/blue-jazz-heavenly-grill-1#t=2:40

Ah, I didn't know the name of the mute. With my old Roland U110 and even the GR-1, there were muted trumpet sounds. They're realtively easy to do electronically, but alas, no such luck on the BSTIC (Black Stick That Isn't a Clarinet).

I played this on the GR-1 (Roland guitar synth). The mute comes on at the end:

View: https://soundcloud.com/randulo/blue-jazz-heavenly-grill-1#t=2:40

Yeah, nice. It would be great if the BSTIC (I like it) could be adapted to play better sounds and more of them. Maybe with an external module or in Series II.

Rhys

why are there no play-alongs out there in the Miles key? unless I'm wrong?

Concert Ab for Miles? I haven't found one - certainly not a good one. Mostly they seem to be Concert F which is what I have made available and also what Hal Leonard and Aebersold use. As noted above, one of the great Stan Getz recordings is in Concert B, before modulating.

If you have Band in a Box (BiaB) you can make your own backing tracks, with whatever tempo and structure you like and a choice of fairly convincing "Real Styles".

If you don't have BiaB, I can produce a backing track (and matching Lead Sheets) in any key, tempo, structure and some sort of style, if you let me know what you would like. It won't sound like Red Garland, Paul Chambers and Philly Joe Jones, though.

Rhys

why are there no play-alongs out there in the Miles key? unless I'm wrong?

Well, it's taken me a while but I have produced a backing track not only in Miles' key of Concert Ab, but also matching his version, so as far as I can get the piano and bass lines are like Red Garland and Paul Chambers played, although the drums are mainly taken from Band in a Box.

In Miles' recording Red Garland plays a long piano solo over AAB of the second chorus (Miles coming back in on the final A section and playing a nice cadenza). I have done two versions of the backing track - one with and the other without the piano solo.

The two backing tracks and accompanying lead sheets are all in the same shared directory that I linked to in the very first post, but here it is again: It Never Entered My Mind - Box

So come on and let's hear your best Miles Davis impressions ....

There is still plenty of time in the month.

Rhys

Well, it's taken me a while but I have produced a backing track not only in Miles' key of Concert Ab, but also matching his version, so as far as I can get the piano and bass lines are like Red Garland and Paul Chambers played, although the drums are mainly taken from Band in a Box.

In Miles' recording Red Garland plays a long piano solo over AAB of the second chorus (Miles coming back in on the final A section and playing a nice cadenza). I have done two versions of the backing track - one with and the other without the piano solo.

The two backing tracks and accompanying lead sheets are all in the same shared directory that I linked to in the very first post, but here it is again: It Never Entered My Mind - Box

So come on and let's hear your best Miles Davis impressions ....

There is still plenty of time in the month.

Rhys

OH MAN you are a saint, this is so awesome thank you. I will begin working on something this weekend.

This week I won the eBay auction for a (slightly) used PPT baritone piece so I thought I would give it a first outing on the BOTM. I used the Shearing-style backing track that is in the shared directory for this month's BOTM.

It Never Entered My Mind - Waltz - Rhys bari V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys
So it was you who beat me on that eBay auction! :mad:
But you are getting a better sound from the mouthpiece than I would have - very good! :yess:

So it was you who beat me on that eBay auction! :mad:
But you are getting a better sound from the mouthpiece than I would have - very good! :yess:

It's very good and pretty much like new - the look of the material, the end ring is nice and the workmanship first rate. I put in a snipe bid at the last moment and was lucky to win.

I am hoping that it will let me play the same mouthpiece for big band and for sax quartets, but I think I will need to experiment with reeds a bit. I have been playing a Lawton 8 star for big band (0.130" tip) and this PPT Signature has a Link 7 facing (0.111" tip) so I will probably increase the reed strength by a whole step.

Rhys

It's getting close to the end of the month and things have been very quiet on this thread after such a rapid start. I've got a couple more versions that i would like to record if I get time this weekend and it would be very good to hear some from other people.

I posted one of my favourite vocal versions at the top of the thread - the one by Welsh jazz singer Ian Shaw which he also arranged and I have tried to copy using BiaB. It's in concert G and I recorded it on tenor.

It Never Entered My Mind - Shaw style Rhys tenor V2.mp3 - Box

Rhys

Hey guys, longtime lurker here an thought I'd get involved. I've really enjoyed listening to everyone's submissions!

Normally I'd learn this by ear, but as it's so late in the month I read the lead sheet and recorded the first run through. Thanks for providing the track, hope you enjoy :)

Apparently I can't post links here, is that because I don't have enough posts yet?

Hey guys, longtime lurker here an thought I'd get involved. I've really enjoyed listening to everyone's submissions!

Normally I'd learn this by ear, but as it's so late in the month I read the lead sheet and recorded the first run through. Thanks for providing the track, hope you enjoy :)

Apparently I can't post links here, is that because I don't have enough posts yet?

I'm not sure whether your post count prevents you posting a link, but the good news is that all of these Ballad / Song of the Month (BOTM / SOTM) threads stay permanently open so you can keep posting new recordings of any of the threads that go back over several years.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Rhys

Back
Top Bottom