support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

BOTM November 2020: It Never Entered My Mind

CHALLENGE FOR BRAVE TENOR PLAYERS

There is a great live recording of this tune by Stan Getz, which has been discussed on another thread over here.

Getz plays it in the difficult key of concert B (five sharps) , so Db on the tenor (five flats) and then he modulates to concert G and plays an amazing cadenza.

Last month I transcribed Stan's solo and then I compared it with the one already done and shared by @Hankenstine in that thread. I took his chords and made a backing track using Band in a Box. I also transcribed the piano intro and outro by Oscar Peterson and the bowed bass outro by Ray Brown which I added onto the BiaB backing by doing an audio export from Sibelius.

And I did another audio export from Sibelius of the transcribed saxophone solo as played by the "robot Getz".

Have we got any tenor players who would like to try to play Stan Getz's solo with this backing track ?

Stan Getz Transcribed Solo in PDF

Backing Track mp3 file

Backing Track with robot Getz demo mp3 file

I think it will take me the rest of my life to play this solo, but I will try to post something by the end of the month.

Rhys

I tried working at my own challenge, issued back on 4th November, to use my transcription of the live recording by Stan Getz and a backing track, to make and share a recording. Well, my family are totally fed up with hearing me murder working at it and aren't interested when I say that Stan was a genius and it's hard playing saxophone in five flats.

It Never Entered My Mind (Getz style) Rhys tenor V1.mp3 - Box

Rhys

Last edited:
Just playing around with a new to me Baritone with some tuning quirks.
It's a Selmer Cigar Cutter era horn with an old woodwind co piece.
Nick.
That's another lovely recording with a beautiful sound. It doesn't seem to matter which instrument or mouthpiece you use - the big, rich sound comes over.

Bravo again !

Rhys

Well, it's taken me a while but I have produced a backing track not only in Miles' key of Concert Ab, but also matching his version, so as far as I can get the piano and bass lines are like Red Garland and Paul Chambers played, although the drums are mainly taken from Band in a Box.

In Miles' recording Red Garland plays a long piano solo over AAB of the second chorus (Miles coming back in on the final A section and playing a nice cadenza). I have done two versions of the backing track - one with and the other without the piano solo.

The two backing tracks and accompanying lead sheets are all in the same shared directory that I linked to in the very first post, but here it is again: It Never Entered My Mind - Box

So come on and let's hear your best Miles Davis impressions ....

There is still plenty of time in the month.

Rhys
Thank you so much for writing this, you are a hero. I've been looking for the version from Workin' for such a long time, and just started learning it on piano yesterday and decided to have another look for these specific chords.

One question I have is, since you have the backing track clearly digitized with a separate track for Red's solo, would it be trivial for you to share the transcription of that solo, or even the whole piano part? I would surely appreciate it, though this lead sheet is already more than enough for me!

Another question is how did you figure out some of the chords, especially around the last measure of A2 (Eb-7 A7 D7, whereas the only lead sheet that was even close to this version that I could find on iReal Pro had Eb7 Ab7sus Ab7), and the first measure of B (sounds in the backing track like there could be a third chord in there on beat 4? but I am not practiced at transcribing).

Thanks!

Thank you so much for writing this, you are a hero. I've been looking for the version from Workin' for such a long time, and just started learning it on piano yesterday and decided to have another look for these specific chords.

One question I have is, since you have the backing track clearly digitized with a separate track for Red's solo, would it be trivial for you to share the transcription of that solo, or even the whole piano part? I would surely appreciate it, though this lead sheet is already more than enough for me!

Another question is how did you figure out some of the chords, especially around the last measure of A2 (Eb-7 A7 D7, whereas the only lead sheet that was even close to this version that I could find on iReal Pro had Eb7 Ab7sus Ab7), and the first measure of B (sounds in the backing track like there could be a third chord in there on beat 4? but I am not practiced at transcribing).

Thanks!

Hi @jmangel and welcome to the Cafe forum - I hope you stick around and enjoy the various discussion threads.

When I was looking for existing transcriptions of Red Garland's piano part on this tune, I was sure that someone must have done it already, as it is such a great and well-formed part. The only transcription I found was from a site called Tunescribers and that also included the Miles Davis trumpet part. If you buy their transcription (just under $10) you will see that it has twice the number of bars that most people would use - this makes it longer but possibly a bit easier to read.

In terms of the chords, there are lots of different sets for this great tune and even different versions for the Miles Davis recording. I think that the Tunescribers version has some errors and it certainly differs in places from those used in a book of Miles Davis solo transcriptions that I also have. My lead sheets used a combination of the chord changes from various sources including iReal, Real Books and an Aebersold book.

Rhys

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom