support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Bop with a stranger gig

Saxlicker

Hi all,
I struggled on where to put this one, so plumped for the good ol' breakfast room.
It's just a small iphone clip from Maneast's gig in Southsea last week.
Goes without saying sound quality suffers on the phone vs being there but it's fairly balanced for most of the time considering....
Oh how I wish I'd started the camera earlier and finished it after the beautiful guitar that followed.
Anyway, the gig was a reunion after about 20 years and the band is great. I understand there will be more by popular demand so get youyrself down there if you possibly can.
Maybe Rick can fill us in on all the guys involved but for the interest of this forum for now, thats Rick and Steve (Beach boys, Culture club) Grainger on the horns.
Hope you like it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Geoff,
Glad you enjoyed it.
Statistics can leave you scratching your head sometimes.
So far the you tube clip has had 46 views and I know that about 6 have been by me. Yet here on the forum the thread views are in the 90's.
I'm unsure whether the you tube counter notches one up if you view from the link here on the forum. If it does, it actually shows that for what ever reason, some of the visitors here haven't viewed the video....now that would be a bit strange.
Dodgy internet speeds :confused:
Flicking through the forum in a rush:confused:
Looking for something more specific:confused:
And Many many more reasons i'm sure.

This clip comes in at the the tail end of the head of an original B.W.A.S tune by the name of Natalie Cole. There was a good handful of originals...all with odd names like Eb ballad thing.
We made them up on gigs, and if we remembered them they would become part of the set.
Most of the credit for B.W.A.S has to go to the keyboard player Matt little.... who not only played The Chords but also the bass line's too. " the man with two brain's" is what the rest of the band ref to him as. Berni Fox is the Fantastic drummer who after me was the third person to join the band.
Later when we got our a notorious residency at the boulevard bar on Southsea sea front "this is the late 80's by the way" Steve Granger phoned me up and asked if he could come and sit in. I had seen Steve on gigs, way before I even owned a saxophone, so I got a buzz out of asking Steve to join the band.
Last but by no means least is Gary Shaw. Steve was living at Gary's house at this time...Gary came to sit-in and never went home. Tee Hee !
This was never a jazz band ...I think ! Its kind of an R&B outfit. A good time Band. You Know...kind of Rock/Smooth-sax stuff
I found it quite strange to play that set again...its was way different to the stuff I do with the Jazz quartet.
B.W.A.S NEVER EVER !! had a rehearsal, and what's more it did not have one this time around ether.
After the band split Gary and Berni went on to work with Jimmy Witherspoon. Steve went back to School to do History & Math...and the odd gig with Boy George. Matt was still working for Crystalist Records. I left the U.K to live and work at Harry's Bar, Jazz Club in Dubai for the next 4 years.

The Gig at the Boulevard ended in 92 after playing every Friday night to a 200 capacity jam packed House for 2 years. Very happy Days! I love you guys x.

ManEast

great stuff - Rick is that the yanni I roo'd up for you? sounds great whatever it is.

any joy with a tenor yet?

Hi Griff
It Sure is my roo'd Yani. Its a joy to play griff... thx t you.
Tenor thing will take a bit of time, but I may just buy another, Pos early Mk6 or indeed another Borg.

I do hope all is good for you at the Mo. R

I'm excited about the next one!

And watching Matt amazed me all night, I can't play one part properly how do you do two? :(

Most of the credit for B.W.A.S has to go to the keyboard player Matt little.... who not only played The Chords but also the bass line's too. " the man with two brain's" is what the rest of the band ref to him as.
ManEast

Bop Footage.

Hi Saxlicker,My name is Gary Shaw ,the guitarist for the band.I wanted to thank you for the kind words said about the band and myself. A friend of mine Flipvideod the gig, got about an hour, sounds pretty good too.Matt[keys] has a copy and has already put up one tune on the Bop website. I can always send you a copy if you like. I know im not a Sax player but the late Mr Brecker is my absolute first choice as a soloist . Merry Xmas.Greebles Studio.

Hi Gary,
Thanks for replying, you are welcome...
There was much talent on show that night and I can look at that iphone video I posted in the cold light of day now as good for what it was and believe it shows enough to enforce that but I still remember how much better it was being there beyond this tiny snippet. Live music what more can you say?
I will look for the Bop website. Is that what it's called? Why not post the link here for all to see?
Either way I'd love a copy (you could PM me when you are ready).

Merry xmas to you all.
Now off to look for the website.

The only word that springs to mind is "awesome", what clever and inspiring playing by all the band......one day a sax solo like either of those, in my dreams!!

Cheers for the clip Trevor.

So far the you tube clip has had 46 views and I know that about 6 have been by me. Yet here on the forum the thread views are in the 90's.
I'm unsure whether the you tube counter notches one up if you view from the link here on the forum. If it does, it actually shows that for what ever reason, some of the visitors here haven't viewed the video....now that would be a bit strange.

From my experiences with posting vids here, I'm pretty sure the YouTube counter only increases if you you view it from the YouTube site, which would expalin the discrepancy.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom