support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

blue mvi tenor

flowersax

Locality
north west
i am a professional saxophonist, and im currently thinking of aquiring a blue selmer mvi tenor sax, but wanted to ask a few questions first to players whom already own one, and if it would be good purchase should i want to sell it on again, i have heared of one that may be available, i was told that selmer made only a few blue ones as a special edition. any advice would be much appreciated, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I'm not the man to answer your question, I only squark on a chech model.
Welcome to the cafe. I hope you find what makes you happy ;}

I have never heard of a blue mark 6 or even a blue selmer

Ive see white ones and black ones.

got any pictures?

Me neither - black, white, silver etc, but never a blue one. I should imagine that if they made one and you can find one, it would cost quite a premium over a standard one.

Regards,

As neither of those experts are aware of a blue mkvi, can you be sure it is not someone trying to scam you?

I would ask for some confirmation that this is genuine. If it's just a stock Selmer that's been painted or relacquered, the value would be lower than otherwise.

Or worse, it could be a counterfeit Selmer.

If it's true they made a blue one, then it's news to all players I know of.

Try contacting Selmer.

Hi,
I've had the pleasure of owning 3 mk VI selmers over the years, although I do not play one any more.

They have a good core sound, although some people think the sound is too nasally (of the nose!). The intonation can be a bit iffy in places, although the ergonomics are quite good.

They seem to be fetching higher and higher prices the older they become . Resale prices are great, although finding a buyer may take some time, probably due to a glut of modern horns that give you a good bang for your buck.

It took me too long to get over the 'golden chalice' effect of the mk VI. There are so many great horns, new and old, out there my advice would be to stay completely open-minded and try loads of horns before deciding - I'd say it was a buyers market.

I have never heard of a blue mk VI. Saxlicker is the guy to speak to - he is a mk VI master, try and pm him. Although, saying that, his shark-like sense of smell for anything mk VI related will bring him out from amongst the coffee beans!

Good luck!

blue mkvi

thanks guys for all your replies, this is very interesting, as i too have never come accross a blue one, and they guy who is selling it wants £4000, i tried a silver military m6 years ago and the sound was superb, but i wasnt in a position to buy it at the time, i then went on to a selmer s11 tenor which i had for 10 years before part exing it for my current selmer ref54, which is beautiful, i am though hoping to obtain another sax to replace an old 'hug' which is a silver replica of a con, which i use alongside the ref54, great sound but keywork slightly cumbersom, in comparison to the 54, my search continues, i may infact go for a ref 36 possibly,
but thanks for your replies, any comments on the ref 36 as a matter of interest?

Welcome to the forum Flowersax. I have nowhere near the expertise of Stephen or Griff and I'd never heard of a blue Mk VI either. However, in a spare moment (sometimes granted to us retirees) I found this on the internet:
http://www.saxpics.com/model/14/Selmer-Mark-VI.html

Certainly indicates that there were some exprimental coloured lacquer models, including blue, and also gives some advice on what to do to check for imitations. Amazing what you find, isn't it?
Good luck
Colin

Very interesting.

But, I doubt a blue one would really be as valuable as its rarity might suggest.

The stupid prices that MKVIs command these days is not due to how good the horn actually is (just my opinion, don't shoot me!), but because how nice they are for collectors to have a piece of important saxophone history in their hands. And it's important as so many VIs were played by the great masters from a certain golden era of late bebop/cool/contemporary. Coltrane etc.

But none of these played a blue one! £4000 is sort at the top end of the price bracket for good MKVIs, and it will certainly be a talking point.

Anyway, good luck if it is genuine,

hi chaps, thanks again for your replies, it does seem somewhat strange that not many people,if any, have seen or played one, i have therefore taken petes advice and have written an email to selmer paris to ask direct, i dont have the exact year when this sax was made, i know the seller has had it many years, and if im correct dosnt really play himelf, just collects them, not only selmers but other makes etc, and i also think that £4000 is a tad steep, however the funky image of a blue sax with the m6 sound does appeal to me, i will wait however on selmers response before i go further with this.
thanks again guys, much appreciated, i will let you know what the outcome is.

Welcome to the Cafe Flowersax :) Let us know what Selmer says regarding your inquiry - I love a saxophone mystery!

Colin, I'm quite depressed now after reading saxpics review about my MarkVII tenor - :p maybe I should paint it blue?

i may infact go for a ref 36 possibly,
but thanks for your replies, any comments on the ref 36 as a matter of interest?

Hi, I've got a Ref 36 and I think it's great (though I am not much of a player...) More importantly each of my teachers has liked it as have the couple of professional muscians who have tried it. One even said it was the best modern horn he'd tried.

I would suggest trying a few though as they do seem to vary quite a lot.

Saying all that, I did flirt with the idea of selling mine and getting a Borgani or Rampone but the Rampone I tried I didn't really like, though I might try a Borgani again in the future.

Lori, no, those blues'll getchya every time - make you more depressed! Paint it black won't help either. How about a nice green to remind you of the grass? Just saw our lawn today for the first time in two weeks as the snow melts. Not on the same scale as Vermont, but unusual for so near London!
Colin

hi guys, well ive got 2 pics of this mk6blue tenor and would like to attach with this repyl but i dont seem to be able to do it, it says invalid file upload, ?? can anyone advise how to get the pic up on here?

this is one of the pics

Attachments

• 22438_252795192307_747562307_3388504_2494247_s.jpg
    22438_252795192307_747562307_3388504_2494247_s.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 86
Back
Top Bottom