support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones blowing saliva

rob1969

hi i was practicing tonight and i have noticed for a cupple of day when i start of i have funny bubbly noicse beined the mp
am i blowing saliva down mp and well this stop
it dose get better the longer i play

Yes and yes.
The fizzing sound is an excess of moisture under the reed.
The more you play the more your embouchure tightens, and the more you progress the less this will occur.

When this happens take off the reed and give it a wipe, swab the mouthpiece and start again.

Rob - As Alan says it is not that likely that there is too much saliva (unless you've drunk a pint of milk before you play) but rather condensation from your breathing. Saliva is not that common in a wind instrument (surprisingly) and would be more damaging. The condensation is practically distilled water. Still needs to be removed after you play though.
Al

Rob - As Alan says it is not that likely that it is saliva (unless you've drunk a pint of milk before you play) but rather condensation from your breathing. Saliva is not that common in a wind instrument (surprisingly) and would be more damaging to your instrument. The condensation is practically distilled water. Still needs to be removed after you play though.
Al

It's much nicer to call it spit though!!!!

:w00t:

Sometimes excess saliva behind the reed is a sign of a poorly faced mouthpiece, especially when you persistently get a spittle sound. What can happen is that the table doesnt seal and spit gets behind the reed or one rail of the reed and gives consistent spittle. Its an easy fix but takes a moutpiece guy.