SYOS

Saliva buildup

Henry Docker

I play soprano and whilst playing through vivaldi and a long list of very fast oboe exercises I tend to find a large buildup of saliva in my mouth is a huge problem. It does not get blown through into the sax though it just stays in my mouth this means I do not have the crackling saliva sound problem but instead I have a problem with being able to keep a consistent stream of air going into the saxophone and also it is very hard to breathe in. I would usually swallow it but in this music there are minimal rests meaning I need them to breathe. I practice regularly (everyday) and have been having this problem for a long time. Any tips?

jbtsax

Subscriber
I just learned something new. I tried to inhale and swallow at the same time, and I can't do it. I don't have a solution to the problem except to say that there's nothing that says you have to play "all of the notes".

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
I just learned something new. I tried to inhale and swallow at the same time, and I can't do it.
That is a rather clever little bit of biology which ensures food and liquid goes to stomach and air to lungs, any variation on this theme means you are choking or drowning.

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
I'm an old fart and I'm loosing teeth, hair and brain cells at a rapid rate but I'm not drooling yet.
Have a look at your diet - are you doin' a lot've sweet stuff ? Jelly baby sandwiches and Coke chasers ?
Drink lots've water, or try a mouthwash. Saliva is created in order to facilitate digestion.
Normally you shouldn't be over salivising.

Top Bottom