All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Billy Joel - New York State Of Mind

OP
Halfers

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
Zanzibar, and that Freddie Hubbard solo. in fact the whole 52nd Street Album itself, was the album that go me circuitously interested in Jazz music. I read somewhere that this was Billy's musical response to Steely Dan, and I can hear that in the tune and the story telling lyric. Great rhythm, great song, great album

Pete Effamy

Zanzibar, and that Freddie Hubbard solo. in fact the whole 52nd Street Album itself, was the album that go me circuitously interested in Jazz music. I read somewhere that this was Billy's musical response to Steely Dan, and I can hear that in the tune and the story telling lyric. Great rhythm, great song, great album
I didn't know that about Dan. Joel wrote several songs in the vein of others - wasn't The Longest Time meant to be like Frankie Valli? And you can really hear Paul McCartney of Don't Ask Me Why. Incredible writer, Joel. There's also Baby Grand, which he duetted with Ray Charles. One of my favourites.

OP
Halfers

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
Here's a different nights solo, a bit more loose. Fantastic.
Shame about the Audience singing :doh: Billy doing his best to skirt around the mass melody!
I was lucky enough to nab tickets for the Hammersmith Apollo gig 4 days after this. Fantastic to see the Man in a small venue. And he was on form.

Pete Effamy

Shame about the Audience singing :doh: Billy doing his best to skirt around the mass melody!
I was lucky enough to nab tickets for the Hammersmith Apollo gig 4 days after this. Fantastic to see the Man in a small venue. And he was on form.
He usually was on form I think. Only saw him at Wembley a few years prior to that. What was Snitzer like???

OP
Halfers

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
I didn't know that about Dan. Joel wrote several songs in the vein of others - wasn't The Longest Time meant to be like Frankie Valli? And you can really hear Paul McCartney of Don't Ask Me Why. Incredible writer, Joel. There's also Baby Grand, which he duetted with Ray Charles. One of my favourites.
I think the whole of Innocent Man was an Homage to the music of his youth. Laura from Nylon Curtain has Lennon written all over it. A bit of New Wave influence in Glass Houses. NYState of Mind is written in Ray Charles' voice also. Also one of my favourites. When most of the other lads in my Year were listening to Beastie Boys and Public Enemy, me and a couple of mates were listening to Hall & Oates and Billy Joel! Deeply unhip at that time but wouldn't change it!

OP
Halfers

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
He usually was on form I think. Only saw him at Wembley a few years prior to that. What was Snitzer like???
In all honesty 2013 was prior to getting interested in Sax, so it was all about the Man and the Band as a whole. I was a bit reticent seeing him, because I thought he might have faded, but it was a great night.

Pete Effamy

In all honesty 2013 was prior to getting interested in Sax, so it was all about the Man and the Band as a whole. I was a bit reticent seeing him, because I thought he might have faded, but it was a great night.
It's amazing how some don't, especially having hacked their voices for many years. Must be in their genes - or jeans.

GJ77

Very well. John kept me sane on tour. You never play the show?
No, not yet. I’m working on The Sound Of Springsteen at the moment which is keeping my diary pretty full (amongst other things); I’d love to one day though.

Johnny kept you sane?

Pete Effamy

I was offered a different Springsteen show a few years back, but all those mega high notes all night aren't my forte.

Yes, known Johnny for many years - great musician, great sound technician and great fun.

GJ77

So far, I’ve not ventured beyond altissimo G and we’ve covered a lot of the big hits.

Pete Effamy

So far, I’ve not ventured beyond altissimo G and we’ve covered a lot of the big hits.
Oh, I don't know the music well at all - presumed he was a screamer - perhaps he does more live rather than records (?).

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom